Need all replies. Please help Beloved Silkie Clemmentine is ill...

winekntrychicks

Pooper Peeper
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sebastopol, CA
My white silkies egg shells have slowly dwindled from hard to soft shell to no egg shell and just yolk and white to no eggs at all. She is not as vocal and barely eats any thing to the point her poo is bright green and she was regurgitating water. She lives in the house in a large container for well over a year; due to the fact that her head and back were bare from rooster activity. I took her to the vet and they gave her a shot of Calcium and vit. D. Vet recommended baby parrot food which she loves and will eat. She got fat and poo has resumed normal color although they are not as large as they once were because she barely eats. Now she has begun to lay eggs again. This egg shell was hard but then. 36 hours later she layed an egg with soft shell/membrane that broke after she laid it; that was two days ago now including today with no egg so far. She is holding her tail down and is pretty quite. She is standing around watching me and what I do, she is preening from time to time. She has oyster shell, lay pellet, Baby parrot food, and crushed dog food which is limited diet consisting of only Salmon and Sweet potato I give her wheat bread and grit. All of this food is there and free choice. I put her in her play area which keeps her from all the other flock so they don't harass her and when plums fall she loves those. Any insight or advice? All replies appreciated. This whole process has been over about a 8 week period.....

I'd get the vet to look at her again and see wether she has a disease. Those symptoms can be many things. I wish you the best of luck!
smile.png

I'd get the vet to look at her again and see wether she has a disease. Those symptoms can be many things. I wish you the best of luck!
smile.png
Your right about that! She is out in her play area now. The whole flock has come by to visit her at least twice. She is digging and watching the others. She dust bathed as well. I wonder if due to the fast she has been in doors alot it has some thing to do with sunlight. I have her box (which is actually a huge plastic non toxic water trough from TS) placed under a big window at the end of the kitchen. Even though it out of direct sunlight the sun follows that side of the house all day; hence the location. But maybe that wasn't enough and began causing this problem which in turn may have caused her eggs to kinda back up so to speak. Vet said her soft body felt a tad distended when I originally took her in. That seems to have resolved a little too. After the shot quite a few feathers began to fall out as well. She is less than two years old could this have been a molt? Also the regurgitation of water has ceased. Thanks again for replies, thoughts.

I'm glad she's getting better!
smile.png
Yeah, chickens need their sun. Vitamin D, like in humans is sorta tied to our calcium. Egg shells need calcium which is tied to Vita D which she may not have gotten enough of. For the water puking, I'm not sure what that is but as I said I'm glad she's better!
smile.png

I'm glad she's getting better!
smile.png
Yeah, chickens need their sun. Vitamin D, like in humans is sorta tied to our calcium. Egg shells need calcium which is tied to Vita D which she may not have gotten enough of. For the water puking, I'm not sure what that is but as I said I'm glad she's better!
smile.png

Yes she is slowly getting better. I was able to watch her in her play area the yesterday and she is still having trouble keeping water in. But she is spilling less each day. I started giving her poly vi sol in her baby parrot food (she is eating plums, good wheat bread and leaves off the persimmon trees. I gave her some rose petals and she was interested for about a min then went back to plums. she has very little interest in her lay pellets anymore) About 5 drops a day. I have no idea how much to give so I am just "winging' it. Pun intended. She has laid 4 eggs total since I have started this thread. Today's egg is still pretty thin shelled but seems to be thicker than the first one she laid since her illness on the 12th.

I had virtually the same thing happen to my EE. It started when the weather got too warm. Now she pretends to lay an egg everyday and nothing happens. She also mini molted after the egg incident and hasn't laid anything for going on two months now. I am starting to believe the heat has something to do with it, because she is always the first one to start panting. I am going to wait and see what happens. Her poo from time to time will look like cooked egg whites are in it. I think this could be undeveloped eggs coming out. Keep your chin up!

Oh and try yogurt! Plain yogurt, and the Greek kind has more protein. That may help.

She hates yogurt. She liked canned cat food tho I am not sure I should be giving it. At this point I am just happy she will eat something. She was very vocal this morning about something. She wanted me out of bed. She hopped up on the side of her "box" today which she has not done in a while. I really think the poly vi sol is making a difference. We shall see.

That's wonderful to hear!
smile.png
If she seems to be the same tomorrow she might be ready to be put back with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom