Need another Rooster besides a RIR!

carrieschkns

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a mixed flock of RIR's, and jersey giants (all hens). I had a RIR rooster but he passed away defending his flock. He was mean as a snake though. He has spurred me, my kids, etc. so my question is, I want to continue to increase my flock for good layers, but I really don't want another Rhode Island roo. What other rooster can get along with my girls and give me prolific layers??

Thanks!

If you are looking for a pleasant rooster that will protect his flock and still be gentle enough to handle I would suggest an Easter Egger Rooster. They are a very docile bird in general. Mine have always been anyway. My RIR roosters were always dominate and mean(until I clipped their wings!) But if you plan on just having one Roo an Easter Eggers is a great bird.

And I had an Easter Egger Roo that went after my daughters and husband. He would occasionally go after me and meet head to item I had in my hand. He is no longer with us he's chicken soup now.

The sweetest Rooster I have ever had and still have,he is calm and easygoing takes care of his girls and does not fight with the other Roosters and I can walk around him and he has never shown any aggression, is my Araucana Rooster "He is purebred but tailed and not rump-less" But I love him. Bred to your Girls you would have offspring that would lay Light Olive colored eggs.

"believe me in all the years I have raised chickens I have had a lot of different breeds of roosters" Another breed of Rooster that was good was the Orpingtons I had.

We had a great roo was a buff orp. The kids called him friendly blue. Would eat out of our hands. We also have george he is a rir x leghorn. I must have some kind of blessing because we have never had a mean roo. It might have something to do with all the handling from me and the kids while they are young. I handle all my little ones alot while young. I have found that seems to make a big difference also i never breed a mean roo. If one ever is mean to me or the kids into the freezer they go. But all that to say i have had good roos from marans, leghorns, buff orps, rir, I really do think it has alot to do with handling them. Imho

I am going to Jacksonville in March, I am going to try and bring eggs (not through the x-ray) to Tea chick who lives down there. to bad I cannot bring rooster for you.

Last edited:
I have a mixed flock of RIR's, and jersey giants (all hens). I had a RIR rooster but he passed away defending his flock. He was mean as a snake though. He has spurred me, my kids, etc. so my question is, I want to continue to increase my flock for good layers, but I really don't want another Rhode Island roo. What other rooster can get along with my girls and give me prolific layers??

Thanks!

Just get different line of RIR. There are old type RIR that really friendly. I do like Orpington, but they lay less egg than RIR.

Back
Top Bottom