Need answer to size of door for coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mmtillman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Hubby and I have the coop all finished ....wiring done today...[​IMG]

AND THERE WAS LIGHT! [​IMG] When we flipped the switch!! [​IMG]

All we lack now is that little door [​IMG] down by the floor that the chickens will exit to the run each day. POP door?? [​IMG]

Hubby wants to start cutting it out and making it , real early in the morning , but wants to draw out his plans tonight.
    He is gonna make a little sliding door with a cable attached , that I can raise from outside the coop, each morning , [​IMG] before I go in the human sized door on the front.
    I read a thread just the other day ....where someone was asking what size that door should be??
    But I cant find it now....I am goin to have large hens... DOM, RIR, BUFFS, and BROWN LEGHORNS .....To arrive on April 2. [​IMG]
    I hope to get Bantys and Silkies at a later date !! [​IMG] \\
    Anyway..we just need the average dimensions for that pop door??
    Thanks again for everyone help so far !! [​IMG]

2. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Mine is 12 x 14 tall. The birds will occasionally push through 2 at a time. I have rirs and EEs that make the rirs look small. My door is a double dog door, as in 2 lexan doors hinged on the outside that meet in the middle.

3. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Quote:I agree my is the same.

4. mmtillman

[​IMG] Thanks to both of you ...

[​IMG] He is getting it planned on paper now, and we should have it done by tomorrow night!
    Then we get to build the brooder box!! [​IMG] Thanks again!! [​IMG]

5. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Will you post photos for us?
    We'd love to see it.

6. mmtillman

Quote:Oh yes.....soon as we add that little door I will show everyone how it turned out for sure! We planned on working on it today...but it is like 32* with the wind blowing 200 [​IMG] mph!!! So we are gonna wait on a warmer day! [​IMG]

I am sooooooooooo ready for spring!!!!!!! Cause that is when I get my chicks!!!!! [​IMG]

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My coop door is 12 inches high and 9 inches wide. My buff rock and buff orpington roosters have no problems getting in and out. Originally it was 13 1/2 inches tall and 10 1/2 inches wide but my 75 lb dogs could get into the coop.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have two, one for the enclosed run and one for the back yard.

Both are 12" X 12"

9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I think it's like 12x15 for standards. I'm trying to find out what it is for bantys...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by