Need anti-roost ideas!

TJAnonymous

Songster
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
Last week we adopted 5 game hens who have decided they want to sleep in the barn instead of our coop with the big layers. I'm generally fine with this idea EXCEPT they have chosen a corner of the barn that is directly over my tack room. This means they are pooping all over my tack, feed table, and lots of other stuff. They are primarily using the electrical conduit as a roost but also the rafters on occasion. I don't mind if they use the rafters over the stalls or other parts of the barn.... Just not the tack area.

Anyone have any good ideas of ways I can discourage them from choosing this area of the barn to roost? I was thinking of maybe some kind of baffle over the conduit or spike strip along the top of the rafters might discourage them from roosting there. Any other ideas?

20210124_164351.jpg

TJAnonymous

Songster
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
Wire 'ceiling' attached to bottom of rafters.
Might have to move your outlet....or put a hole there for your access.

Why are they not in a coop?

Hubby says trying to block off the area with a wire ceiling would be too much of a PITA. He will cull them before doing that... 😕 I need to find a way to make that section of conduit unattractive to them....

They are not in the coop because they don't want anything to do with my other chickens which are easily twice their size. If I could even catch them to put them in the coop, they would just fly out of the run in the morning since the run isn't covered. They are generally safe in the barn so I just let them stay there. We do get stray cats around the barn and rats but that would be the only major threats

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hubby says trying to block off the area with a wire ceiling would be too much of a PITA. He will cull them before doing that... 😕 I need to find a way to make that section of conduit unattractive to them....

They are not in the coop because they don't want anything to do with my other chickens which are easily twice their size. If I could even catch them to put them in the coop, they would just fly out of the run in the morning since the run isn't covered. They are generally safe in the barn so I just let them stay there. We do get stray cats around the barn and rats but that would be the only major threats
It would be a PITA.
Even if you deter them from the conduit, they'll just roost on those rafters.
Sounds like you need to cover your run.

shawluvsbirds

🦆Lord luv a Duck!
Apr 17, 2017
Missouri
Last week we adopted 5 game hens who have decided they want to sleep in the barn instead of our coop with the big layers. I'm generally fine with this idea EXCEPT they have chosen a corner of the barn that is directly over my tack room. This means they are pooping all over my tack, feed table, and lots of other stuff. They are primarily using the electrical conduit as a roost but also the rafters on occasion. I don't mind if they use the rafters over the stalls or other parts of the barn.... Just not the tack area.

Anyone have any good ideas of ways I can discourage them from choosing this area of the barn to roost? I was thinking of maybe some kind of baffle over the conduit or spike strip along the top of the rafters might discourage them from roosting there. Any other ideas?

View attachment 2501634
This may be a totally dumb idea..
But perhaps some kind of motion activated toy place strategically on top of one of those rafters 😂 Of course that might scare them out of the barn all together, or they may eventually just get used to it.
I don't think I would opt for any kind of Spike strip you don't want them puncturing a hole in the bottom of their foot and getting a bumble.

kcan2

Crowing
Oct 18, 2019
MI
How about a tarp (or contractor's plastic) and some quick clamps to clamp the tarp around the bottom of the rafters? This may deter them from roosting there altogether, or at least they would then be pooping on the tarp instead of your tack.

Top Bottom