Need antibiotic recommendations and dosages for septic wounds.

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
Hi all, my poor hen has seeping wounds on her head from from my rooster, who has decided he suddenly hates her.
I didn't catch them right away do to my work schedule, I wasn't paying attention besides food and water and I'm hoping it's not too late.
Her face, neck and comb are puffy and bruised, the wounds are dark and slimey.
I'm starting to debride for wound care but I think she needs antibiotics.
I have amoxicillin 250mg and Duramycin 72-200, possibly others if I go through my cabinet.
Rooster has been seperated to outside the run.
Thanks!
20240130_113335.jpg 20240130_113428.jpg 20240130_113347.jpg

Sorry about your hen. I would do a warm wet compress on the wounds. If you have Hibiclens or chlorhexidene, mix with half water, you can add that or just use warm saline to the rag. Hold it on for 5-10 minutes while you hold her. Then apply some plain antibiotic ointment 2-3 times a day. Repeat the warm wet compress a few times if needed. You can also spray the saline as well. It should heal without antibiotics. But if you need one, I would go with amoxicillin 125-250 mg twice a day for 7 days.

Sorry about your hen. I would do a warm wet compress on the wounds. If you have Hibiclens or chlorhexidene, mix with half water, you can add that or just use warm saline to the rag. Hold it on for 5-10 minutes while you hold her. Then apply some plain antibiotic ointment 2-3 times a day. Repeat the warm wet compress a few times if needed. You can also spray the saline as well. It should heal without antibiotics. But if you need one, I would go with amoxicillin 125-250 mg twice a day for 7 days.
Thank you very much, I do have hibiclens and I'll use it. When should I expect the puffiness of her face go down? If it doesn't, I'll consider the amoxicillin then.

You’re welcome. The face may be swollen from the trauma around her neck, so hopefully in a few days, it will go down. He may have pecked her a bit. Does she resist mating from this rooster?

You’re welcome. The face may be swollen from the trauma around her neck, so hopefully in a few days, it will go down. He may have pecked her a bit. Does she resist mating from this rooster?
She used to be the top hen before I got the roo as a chick, she hasn't handled being 'dethroned' well. So yes

Back
Top Bottom