Need assistance with a lethargic ill chicken. Possibly respiratory problems, Wry Neck or something else?

I have never had a chicken that has been determined to live as this one, so that means I am not going to euthanize her yet. I am only going to consider it when she gives up herself or really is incapable of feeding and drinking, or is totally immobile. She is none of those yet, likely close to the 3rd one, but not yet.

The choice is always ultimately yours. If you feel that she is truly fighting/wanting to survive then I agree with you....obviously no one wants to pull the proverbial 'trigger' on helping our dearly loved pets pass with love and dignity. However, and I speak from experience (not with chickens, but with my first dog), there comes a very thin line between our own expectations and wants due in large part to our love for the animal, and what reality dictates is the cold hard truth and inevitable.

Again, please don't think I am advocating for you to do anything you don't want to do. I always believe in the fight of the animal and their will to live. I just know how hard it can be to ultimately make that awful decision and how (in my case, I made so many excuses, honestly trying to make the best out of a really bad situation, but inevitably kept my cancer ridden dog alive far longer than I should have because I made myself believe that he was fighting when in reality he was in so much pain, and I'm forever guilt ridden for that).

Just know I am rooting for you and your girl. I am praying hard that she fights this and comes out for the better. Honestly, she seems like a little warrior! I just wanted to tell my own cautionary tale and to let you know that I send all my love to you and your little either choice you make. <3<3<3

Stupid Head 4 has died :'( . She was euthanized and from looking at her progress, she wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway. She had the virus for 35 days before perishing. She was ok from days 15 to 32 which is why I let her live as long as she did, but it was the last 2 days and especially today that made us conclude that this was the right decision.

Paralysis did indeed occur on Day 34, as I had feared. She hadn't moved out of the Hen House and couldn't walk. Absolutely no movement from her legs. The video below is quite sad, but it shows the condition she was in yesterday and is a reference for others looking at this thread in the future to understand why the decision was made.

We gave it a little bit longer to see if somehow she could regain the ability. Today she was barely conscious, couldn't drink, seemed to be lifeless, no energy or power in her body and had finally given up. So we decided to end it for her. I am distraught, but understand that it had to be done.

At least her memory will now be immortalised thanks to the internet. You and your war against this virus will not be forgotten.

VCYYDCV.png

Stupid Head 4, June 2020.

Last edited:
Stupid Head 4 has died :'( . She was euthanized and from looking at her progress, she wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway. She had the virus for 35 days before perishing. She was ok from days 15 to 32 which is why I let her live as long as she did, but it was the last 2 days and especially today that made us conclude that this was the right decision.

Paralysis did indeed occur on Day 34, as I had feared. She hadn't moved out of the Hen House and couldn't walk. Absolutely no movement from her legs. The video below is quite sad, but it shows the condition she was in yesterday and is a reference for others looking at this thread in the future to understand why the decision was made.

We gave it a little bit longer to see if somehow she could regain the ability. Today she was barely conscious, couldn't drink, seemed to be lifeless, no energy or power in her body and had finally given up. So we decided to end it for her. I am distraught, but understand that it had to be done.

At least her memory will now be immortalised thanks to the internet. You and your war against this virus will not be forgotten.

VCYYDCV.png

Stupid Head 4, June 2020.

I'm so so very sorry. Shes in a much better place now ❤❤

Back
Top Bottom