Need better fencing (squirrels n rabbits chewing)

blakehaas

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Hey guys,

I have been using an Omlet coop and their fencing and I really like it but this year I've been having issues with the squirrels and at night the rabbits chewing through the fence. I've thought about electric fencing but I live in Minnesota and we get ample snow so I'm assuming that's a no go for winter. I really wish they made flexible fencing out of 20 ga wire or something. Anyway what do you think would be best? If i go too ridged the squirrels will just climb over, if i go plastic they will chew through. Will electric fencing from say premier be easy to chew through since it has conductive wire in it? It may be possible to have that and just not have it on in winter if it will hold up.

Attachments

• 20210120_090904.jpg
    20210120_090904.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 12
What is that fence made from?

Most people find that 1/2" hardware cloth is proof against most predator and pest animals.
The fence is made of plastic. My concern with using 1/2" hardware cloth is that its rigid and squirrels will just climb it. The plastic netting is fluid and if a squirrel tries to climb it it buckles and waves and they get off.

Is it possible to cover the run in wire also. Squirrels can't get in no matter what then. Why are you keeping them out?

The chicken run is fully fenced in and cant be accessed but I like to open the door to the run and let the chickens walk around inside the fenced area. That is when the squirrels get in and eat their food.

The fence is made of plastic. My concern with using 1/2" hardware cloth is that its rigid and squirrels will just climb it. The plastic netting is fluid and if a squirrel tries to climb it it buckles and waves and they get off.

Plastic wire is useless against anything except the chickens themselves. It won't protect them from any kind of predator.

Full setup. The run is bullet proof, but the outside play area is getting infiltrated by bunnies and squirrels and if i leave the run open during the day the squirrels will go in and try to get some free food.
chickens_1611175248.jpg

Back
Top Bottom