Need buddy advice for single Silkie!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rebekah, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Rebekah

Rebekah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Burlington County, NJ
    I have two flocks of chickens that live in separate, but adjacent, coops - 3 two-month-old Silkies and 5 larger older hens (Sussex & Cochin).

Because two of my young Silkies turned out to be roos, I have to rehome two or all of them (I'm not allowed to have roos). I would love to keep my little girl, but am concerned she'll get too lonely. The coops are adjacent and separated by a fence... can seeing the other hens provide her with enough company? Should I get new chicks for her to be with? Would my bunny be a good companion for her?

Also, if there's anyone in the Burlingon County, NJ area who would like the Silkies, please let me know!

Here's a link to my blog with pictures of my set-up (the silkies live in the "addition" with another little hen house... the big girls now have a large part of the garden as their new run):

pictures of my coop

Thank you!!

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Why not let her in with the other chickens? I have silkies and standards mixed. They are tiny but they can hold their own. I imagine she'll go through the "new girl" pecking and such... maybe look up how to integrate new chickens into the flock. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by