need building plans for wheeled henhouse

OHFURANDFEATHERS

Hatching
Jun 14, 2022
Hi there new feathered friends, I'm a new owner of 5 Rhode Island Reds & 2 Bantam pullets. I want good eggs. I use a lot of eggs, I breed exotic finches, and make homemade eggfood for them. I'm retired and also raise and breed AKC Pomeranians, we eat a lot of eggs here. I like to know what my chickens will be eating. I saw a great post from covertchickens (something like that, from VA- he built a nice sized, henhouse on wheels, for his chickens and wife.) I'm trying to find good plans for this type of coop, and also would like to know what the best egg-layers are, and how many chickens I'd need to have to produce about 2 dozen eggs per week? Thank you ahead of time, Jen (Madison, Ohio)

Hi there new feathered friends, I'm a new owner of 5 Rhode Island Reds & 2 Bantam pullets. I want good eggs. I use a lot of eggs, I breed exotic finches, and make homemade eggfood for them. I'm retired and also raise and breed AKC Pomeranians, we eat a lot of eggs here. I like to know what my chickens will be eating. I saw a great post from covertchickens (something like that, from VA- he built a nice sized, henhouse on wheels, for his chickens and wife.) I'm trying to find good plans for this type of coop, and also would like to know what the best egg-layers are, and how many chickens I'd need to have to produce about 2 dozen eggs per week? Thank you ahead of time, Jen (Madison, Ohio)
Rhode Island Red are pretty good layers if you get production strain rather than show strain. Isa Brown are probably the best brown egg layers if you are okay with replacing them every year or two. The other red sexlinks are between those two and are usually available under a name - cinnamon queen, red star, etc.

The production strains of white leghorns and breeds developed from white leghorns (California White, California Grey, and others) are the best layers - probably better than the Isa Brown. Again, if you are okay with replacing them every year or two.

These are best if you are considering only egg production. If you want heat tolerant or cold hardy, good forager or tolerates confinement, nonbroody or good setters, long laying life, early maturity, colorful, can tell them apart, or such then these aren't necessarily the best.

The breeds named above can be expected to lay an egg almost every day from puberty to first molt in the fall of their second year - assuming they are well taken care of from hatching on. And they get supplemental light on the short days of winter. I would figure four of these hens are likely to give two dozen eggs a week most weeks. Five or six is a safer estimate. It allows a little more for unexpected things like electricity going out so the waterer freezes or heat stress or broodiness or any other *life happens* incident.

I didn't find the covert chickens with wheeled coop. Can you give a link or picture of it?

Back
Top Bottom