Need chicks ASAP Possibly in ky

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I have looked everyone for day old chicks up to 1 week old chicks it does not matter what breed mixed does not matter need them asap possible I have a broody whos life depends on it she will not stop bring broody and I am afriad its going to take a toll on her and even kill her. Plz if anyone has some 2 3 4 does not matter how many. I will pay for them please has to be someone who can ship or bring them to me. Please let me know if anyone has anything.

If you live near Shepherdsville, they have a stock yard that they have folks selling at on Sat mornings from 8-noon and they usually have babies... intersection of route 480 and hwy 61.... I found some lovely yunguns there.

Good-Luck

I don't have any chicks that young, but even when I have tried to fool a hen, she has not accepted the new chicks as hers.

Where are you located?

Have you tried taking the nest away, putting her in a well lit area in a pen with no nesting material?

Yolonda

I agree, I don't think she will fall for having chicks put in with her unless she has some hatching under her as well. She might even attack them since she would be guarding her nest and see them as a threat.

I had a broody that hatched some eggs herself and I had hatched some in bator because she originally had too many to keep under her small self. So as the chicks in bator hatched, the same time as chicks under mom hatched, I put them in with her and they ran right under her wing as she lifted it.

You could get some fertile eggs and put under her.

How long has she been broody? If she is eating and drinking she can stay broody for longer periods. They hatch peafowl eggs by putting them under broody hens that they keep broody for up to six months by always taking the eggs away just before they hatch and putting more under her - kinda cruel if you ask me but point is that being broody for more than 21 days won't kill her if she's eating and drinking.

BUT....with all that said, my first broody, a young Buff Orp, died because she sat on a nest of nonfertile eggs for about a month and would not get off the nest to eat or drink no matter what I tried. I didn't realize she wasn't eating or drinking till she was too far run down.

You could take the broody and put her in a pen without a nest or eggs as suggested.

As a kid, we put chicks under broodys and almost everytime they accepted them as their own.

Where are you in KY? I'm in Adair County, and I have 3 bantam mixed chicks that are now 1&2 days old. Let me know if you want them.

I have some Salmon Faverolle pullets. They're about 2 weeks old though and I wouldn't be able to bring them to you unless you're in Eastern Ky.

Back
Top Bottom