Need clarification on egg bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ukyou, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Ukyou

Ukyou Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    I have a chicken that I suspect is egg bound. She was bit by a small dog 2 weeks ago [​IMG] That night she slept in my son's room and in the morning laid a shelless egg. She stayed in for a couple more nights just to make sure she was ok. She has not laid an egg since. However she is pooping fine. But, she keeps going into the nest box but not laying.

When they are egg bound, were are they swollen?
    Can they poop ok?
    Any other ways to treat besides a warm soak? I now know that if a chicken flaps while soaking in a tub of water, I will have water dripping from my ceiling.

Thank you for your time,
    Mandy

2. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Do you feel a lump? I thought my silkie was egg-bound for two weeks....soaks twice a day, checked the vent daily gloved with lube. And I felt a lump but never could find it?~! Ends up she was BROODY! I'm still baffled about that! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Egg bound means an complete egg is actually stuck and cannot pass through the vent opening. Could be too large, misshapen or whatever. Had an egg bound bantam whose egg was larger/rounder than her normal. She was straining and we could see the egg, but had to lube up fingers, coat the egg and coax it out. Afterward she was fine.

4. Ukyou

Ukyou Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Quote:I didn't even consider that she had gone Broody. She is only 7 months and had only been laying regularly for a month and a half. Right now I am down to one nest box for the 4 of them after the last storm did considerable damage to my coop. That would explain why I keep seeing her come out to let my BR go in. She is probably getting kicked out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by