Need Coop/run placement help and run flooring ideas

Blessedmamaof3

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Pomona, KS (eastern ks)
I am needing opinions on where to place my chicken coop and run as well as the best option for a flooring in the run. I live in Eastern Kansas and we definitely have all 4 seasons. It gets really hot and humid in summer and freezing in winter. Our property has a 3 sided shed/barn that is in pretty good condition and has extra space. The opening is on the south side. I am new to the chicken world and will be starting to build the coop/run in the next week or so. I will attach pics of the space we are thinking of using. The shed has 6 stalls that are 10' wide by 22' long each. I have the option of using either the last stall (wall on the W and N sides) or the next stall over (wall on north side only). I am wondering if it is best to have my coop in the front or the back against the north wall with the run on the open side. The open side would get a little wet from blowing rain and snow but also has sunlight about 4' in during the hightest time of day. Or should i build the coop by the open side and the run in the back of the barn. I don't know if chickens need/prefer the direct sunlight or better to shade them from sun/wind/rain. Also which stall should I use? Im planning my coop to be 10x10 and run to be 10x12. We are mainly raising them as pets with eggs as a bonus so we plan to spend a lot of time with them. The plan is to let the chickens free range during nice weather possibly with the exception of our 3 bantams and 1 polish. The shed housed some cattle about 20 years ago, so the floor is currently dirt, rock, and some manure. What should I do for a floor in the run(I do not currently have plans to garden or compost). The coop will have a floor.
Any input or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210422_132842.jpg
    20210422_132842.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210422_132959.jpg
    20210422_132959.jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210422_132932.jpg
    20210422_132932.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20210422_132851.jpg
    20210422_132851.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Heat might be your biggest concern, chicken don't do well in the heat,
so the 'coolest' stall would be best.

I'd put the coop in the back, for more shelter, and the run towards the open front.

I'd not put a floor in, as underneath a floor is a perfect place for vermin to reside.
Does any water run into the structure?

Oh, andand ....Bedding

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Heat might be your biggest concern, chicken don't do well in the heat,
so the 'coolest' stall would be best.

I'd put the coop in the back, for more shelter, and the run towards the open front.

I'd not put a floor in, as underneath a floor is a perfect place for vermin to reside.
Does any water run into the structure?
There is a little water around the edges after a good rain and of course more on the open side (probably a couple feet in). The coop will have 4 sides, tie into the existing roof and a floor that is raised 12-18 in to deter things from residing under it.

I live in a similar climate except for the humidity and that will make a nice setup for the chickens. I have my geese in a 3 sided loafing shed and have used extra horse stalls for the chickens.
I would use the far left stall. It will save a considerable amount of money and time by maximizing the existing walls. I was walking through Lowe's last week and 2x4x8 were $10!! That would run an extra $800-1000 to build that side out. I wouldn't even bother splitting it up and building separate coop and run. Save more money plus make it easier to clean. I would go with 2 solid sheets of plywood to make an 8x8 wall in the back. Frame out the walls and cover in hardware cloth. Make your life easier and make doors on the front that will accommodate a tractor for the annual clean out. I nailed polycarbonate panels to the front of the stall to block the wind and swirling snow. Do it right and make a chanel out of 1x where you can slide them in and out. My chickens love sunbathing in the winter so even 4' of limited sunshine will be appreciated.
Hopefully your opinion of composting will change with time. Chickens produce a considerable amount of waste product when mixed with litter. You need a way to dispose of it and it's too valuable to throw it out. Composting has added value as it provides feed for the chickens and can significantly reduce the feed bill. Chickens and composting go hand in hand.

Oh, andand ....Bedding

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.
I don't know what semi deep litter is but the rest sounds about like what I was thinking. I am still researching if straw or pine chips are better in the coop floor. I don't plan to use the manure in any way. Would I need to start with a layer of wood chips over existing dirt in the run? Do I need to clear out all rocks and existing manure first?

and a floor that is raised 12-18 in to deter things from residing under it.
Keep in mind unless you mesh off under the floor you may be crawling under there to grab some chickens or their eggs.

Would I need to start with a layer of wood chips over existing dirt in the run? Do I need to clear out all rocks and existing manure first?
I use coarse wood chippings in the run, never clean it out.
No need to remove rocks and manure....some moisture won't hurt, maybe even help.

From a tree trimmer:
full

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/runs.7427859/

I live in a similar climate except for the humidity and that will make a nice setup for the chickens. I have my geese in a 3 sided loafing shed and have used extra horse stalls for the chickens.
I would use the far left stall. It will save a considerable amount of money and time by maximizing the existing walls. I was walking through Lowe's last week and 2x4x8 were $10!! That would run an extra $800-1000 to build that side out. I wouldn't even bother splitting it up and building separate coop and run. Save more money plus make it easier to clean. I would go with 2 solid sheets of plywood to make an 8x8 wall in the back. Frame out the walls and cover in hardware cloth. Make your life easier and make doors on the front that will accommodate a tractor for the annual clean out. I nailed polycarbonate panels to the front of the stall to block the wind and swirling snow. Do it right and make a chanel out of 1x where you can slide them in and out. My chickens love sunbathing in the winter so even 4' of limited sunshine will be appreciated.
Hopefully your opinion of composting will change with time. Chickens produce a considerable amount of waste product when mixed with litter. You need a way to dispose of it and it's too valuable to throw it out. Composting has added value as it provides feed for the chickens and can significantly reduce the feed bill. Chickens and composting go hand in hand.
I have never done gardening and didn't want to take that on as well as chickens this year but am thinking about it for next year. Either way, I wouldn't have a very large garden so not sure what i would do with all the compost? I have the material already for the coop and not planning to use the shed walls for the coop as it will be a stand alone coop. I plan to use panels that were made for commercial garage doors. They have that slightly textured metal sides on both sides with 2 inches of foam insulation in the middle. They are tounge and groove, easy to clean, will never rot, and are very easy to assemble walls and floors for a building and I spent $130 on them. I plan to cut the panels a little short of the roof to add hardware cloth for venting. What do you mean about not bothering to split it up? I do like your idea of making doors into the run to use the skid loader for easy clean out and the panels for snow. I have lots of scrap lumber around that I got cheap.

Keep in mind unless you mesh off under the floor you may be crawling under there to grab some chickens or their eggs.

I use coarse wood chippings in the run, never clean it out.
No need to remove rocks and manure....some moisture won't hurt, maybe even help.

From a tree trimmer:
full

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/runs.7427859/
Yes I would use hardware cloth so things can't get under the coop. Thanks for the advise on wood chips. I will see if I can find anyone local to get it from.

Back
Top Bottom