Need Cure For canker!please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thechooks22, Aug 13, 2013.

1. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Hey my hen has a canker in her throght and is reall struggleing to breath she got it about 2 weeks ago until her breathing was 98% normal ...it didnt go away but today it hasgrown twice the size and she is struggleing ......eating well ....i was treating her with antibiotics and apple cyder vinigar in her water but its right on her wind pipe so its so hard for her to breath .....i need a cheap treatment that will make it fall off or shrink .....it may be something else as she hasnt got a loss of appetite or weight loss

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    [​IMG]
    This was it last week its bigger now :'(

3. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

What's a Konger? Sorry I have no help for you, but was terribly curious, and love to learn...thanks for any info, so sorry your chick is sick, hope someone can help you!

4. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Oh oops i messed up i ment a canker ...... sorry

5. mithious

Oh that's quite alright, wish I knew. Aren't cankers part of the herpes virus? Can you use people meds for cold sores on chicks? I have no idea as I have never faced this before...so sorry you little one is sick!

6. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    [​IMG]
    This is what it is......

7. mithious

That article doesn't give treatment suggestions? Did you try the top search bar to see if others have come across this? I find that search bar really helpful when I can't get answers. I'll try too.

8. mithious

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Canker is a protozoa, not a fungus. Treatment is metronidazole or flagyl. Dosage is one 250mg tablet orally once a day for 5 days. Your hen will be a carrier. Use copper sulfate 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for three days once a month to keep it in check.

10. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Oh thats what i read :-\
    Thanks for the reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by