Need Design Guidance---Please!

cjatthefarm

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 26, 2010
Tucson
Okay! I'm gonna have 25 hens --- gonna need more nest boxes. So, I have pictures and I need your help, please! I thought I'd put more above the ones I have; but I have NO idea how to provide them access!!!

66455_010.jpg
66455_009.jpg
This is the area in the left corner, above the ladder and that section of the existing nest boxes. It spans from the corner to the window that is barely visible in the upper right corner of the first picture!

I don't know how to work out the space! The new brooder box is in the upper left corner of the first picture; as it is, it is over the ladder and seems to 'crowd' the girls just a little going up & down.

Help.

From what I can tell in your pics, how about a space saver option. Mine is set up like this: Roost bar, under that is the poop board, under the poop board is my nest boxes. I put them all on one wall which frees up the rest of the space. Sorry, my pics are on my computer at home so I can't show you how it is set up.

Not sure they need access. How high are they, and what kind of chickens? Two of my chickens' favorite nest boxes are about 3' off the floor. They just fly up and land on the short board across the front that is there to hold nesting material in. Some people build a sort of shelf in front of nest boxes for them to land on. Nothing wrong with nest boxes on the floor, either; some of mine prefer those, too.

I don't really get your setup from the pics.

Huh. Ok. They are Ameracanas & Leghorns; so they could fly? Or! I could use the space under the existing boxes--and problem solved! Somehow I thought they had to be higher.

Good to know they don't--thanks!

Of our 35 fowl, we have roughly 20 birds of laying age, and we have two nest buckets and a cabinet that they can use
big_smile.png

course, i suppose it helps that only three are laying right now
roll.png

The higher your nest boxes, the more likely your chickens are to roost in them, filling them with chicken poo every night and and thus making the possibility of ever getting clean eggs very unlikely. Keep them lower than the roosts, and - unless you are trying to save floor space in a small coop - having them on the floor is just fine.

Last edited:
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't have more than 5 -- truth is they are likely to only use 2 or 3 anyway.

I have 4 different kinds of nests, or spots on the floor, and they all have their favorite spots.

I use always one next box per five birds, never ever less, this is for their mental well being which always has a road that leads to physical health. If you look at theis one thread about the chicken cotes you can see briliant ways to maximize use of vertical space and it's very good to make your chickens fly, as in up to high perches and such. They are happier to be higher, and their bodies benefit from the physical action of flying.

I will find that thread and post the link right here : (coming soon).....https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=424584 (magic of edit button)

Also if your nests is high then a perch rail in font is all that is needed and your Ameraucanas an Leghorns are excellent little flyers as chickens go. So much that they often get herselfs into trouble.
smile.png

one more: if a roost is way up high and a predator walks in, he better just go someplace else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom