Whats your favorite breed of goat?

• Total voters
OK thanks for the advice !!
You’re welcome. That’s how I get my goats. And they tend to be cheaper than legit businesses selling registered top-quality goats. But I feel if you’re just starting out with goats, buy cheap ones because sometimes they get sick or have issues and it’s all a learning curve and it would suck to have one die that cost you $900 versus $150.

HI,
I am posting because we have a buck and are now looking into getting a good quality DOE. We have looked at DoubleToyMiniFarm.com and are interested in there doeling but would like a older one. Can anyone HELP? We are looking into goat in Missouri not to far away. Maybe close to the areas of Springfield, Nixa, and Ozark. Thanks for the help in advanced. I'll Tag a few people. I hope maybe @shawluvsbirds can help?

I also have another question. My goat Timber which I got at the end of December he was 8 weeks old then. Now in march he will be close to 6 months old and does not have horns!!!!!! We contacted the people we bought him from but, they have not responded. When we bought him they said they had not dehorned him but, I don't know anymore do you think he could possibly be dehored.
I am not upset about him not having horn just excited! Because he was suppose to have horns and I would trim them now I don't have to.
Looking for ANSWERS?
If he doesn't have horns by now and has not been disbudded, he is polled. Polled goats usually have bumps where their horns should be. By the way, the gene for polled is dominant and horns are recessive.

Thanks so if I bought a polled doe does that mean that the babies would be polled.
Maybe. Maybe not. If you breed two horned goats all the kids will be horned. If you breed a polled goat to a horned goat, the kids may have horns or not. If the animal has one gene for polled and one gene for horns some of the kids will be polled and some will be horned. If you breed polled to polled you may run into the problem of hermaphroditism. Hermaphrodites are neither all male or all female. They are what are called intersexes. Actually, in this case they are genetically female, but they are sterile and they exhibit masculine traits. In many ways they are worse than a buck and they are really obnoxious.

Maybe. Maybe not. If you breed two horned goats all the kids will be horned. If you breed a polled goat to a horned goat, the kids may have horns or not. If the animal has one gene for polled and one gene for horns some of the kids will be polled and some will be horned. If you breed polled to polled you may run into the problem of hermaphroditism. Hermaphrodites are neither all male or all female. They are what are called intersexes. Actually, in this case they are genetically female, but they are sterile and they exhibit masculine traits. In many ways they are worse than a buck and they are really obnoxious.
Alright so I don't want that to happen. I want to get a pregnant doe so if she has a female/s I would keep them.

Back
Top Bottom