NEED DUCK HELP!

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
I have two young ducks as well as an older male. My young male mallard and my female Buff orpington Have been caught mating.
Any advice to when the eggs will come, what to do when they come, or how to separate them when she lays them?
The 3 ducks share a pen with 2 young goats who walk over everything and I dont want them stepping on he eggs.
When she lays I would Like to move her, her nest, and her eggs into one of my large pens that stands off the ground.
Should I do that or :
Build a pen around her and her nest using rat wire, that way she can set in peace but stay out.

Id prefer to put her in the pen, so there is no option or ants or snakes getting to her.

All advice appriciated!

Last edited:
Ducks lay in the morning. If she is an adult then she's probably been laying all this time. IF she is broody then she will be hiding her eggs from you. You'll probably have to build a little cage/pen around her. Some ducks have been known to give up on their nests if moved/disturbed. Some ducks never set. Just because they breed doesn't mean anything.

Ducks usually start to lay eggs at 18-20 weeks of age. Many domestic ducks don't set their eggs but there can always be the occasional setter of any type. Muscovies tend to love to set, pekins seldom will set, others vary. Oh, ducks often start practicing their mating at about 10 weeks so even after that, it will be some time before the girls start to lay. And they lay whether they are being mated or not, once they are of that age.

FYI - it's really hard to keep snakes out of the nest if a duck is setting. Snakes love to eat warm eggs. Also, when setting the duck is obviously in a lot of danger unless she's in a good sturdy enclosure or has some other kind of security so you might want to start right away in getting her to lay in the pen. Set up a nice dark cozy little hidey hole for her to use. I use small dog houses or carriers or that sort of thing and put dried grass clippings in them. My ducks are just drawn to the little quiet dark places. Best of luck.

Thanks so much! My female is around...17 weeks old. The male is the same or a little younger. The male is a mallard and the female is a small buff orpington. I set up a small "duck hut". It is the bottom of a medium sized dog carrier, filled with grass clippings. My only problem is I do not think she will go in there ( even though it is nice, cool, shady and well insulated) Because My two goats like to stick their noses in there. There is not really a safe place away from them. The place id like for her to be is off the ground about a foot and a half, it is shady, and surrounded with double rat wire. But, she cant get to it easily until I make a door in the side, and she doesnt like to be away from the others.

I know this is a stupid question, but I noticed that ducks mate the same as chickens. How long after serious mating will it take for her to lay her eggs? I am asking for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom