Need Encouragement...How long did it take you to learn to milk a goat?

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
OK I really could use some encouragement.

I milked my Nigerian Dwarfs today and one of them kicked at me so hard, her hind legs went above her head and then landed behind a wall panel between studs and I had to wrestle those hind hooves back down to safety.

I understand being new and I think she is more aggravated at having a newbie on her, but I sat under two does for a good half an hour and got half the milk, if even than the lady I bought them from.

I'm a bit discouraged and I don't want to hurt them, but boy is this just a tough skill or what?

How long did it take you to get the feel for milking?

I'm afraid I'm going to hurt them by not milking enough or by milking poorly.

Of course, I'm right now nursing my own baby and maybe seeing those full utters gives me a bit of the heebee jeebees.

Any hope for me?
sad.png

You have to grab up high and then squeeze starting from top to bottom.

Cows are so much easier than goats. Goat teats come in all different sizes and shapes and so you have to adapt. We didn't have goats when I was a kid but my neighbors did and I had occasion to milk them... and I hated it.

Also, if you don't get all the milk out, then their production will go down.

Good luck.

I was in a goat milking contest when I was about 11 years old..
I came in second..The kid that beat me had previous experience at his grandpas house (yea, I was raised a city kid)

I figured out that you just kinda squeeze..Not "milk" ..Hmm, how to explain it better..
On a cow..You would use faster motions..With a goat..it seems that the way you squeeze opens the "hole?" in the udder..Then it just kind of flows..

Well, Just remember that I have very litle experience in this area..
But hopefully I helped anyways
wink.png

That's so funny, because I find milking goats sooooo much easier than cows!
lol.png
With goats its a grab and tug, with cows a "milking" squeezing motion. Makes your hands tired!

Yes, there is hope for you and I will tell you this....you won't hurt a goat with the milking. It sounds like you have a goat that is not trained to milking and might even be sensing some of your hesitancy about it all. And sometimes.....you just have an animal that hates to be milked.

Had a cow like that once....sweetest thing ever in the field, cuddle up to you anytime! She would actually lay down in the field with her head in my lap, like a big dog, while I scratched under her chin.

THEN....when milking time came we had to tie her head up high, tie the tail, tie a hind leg up in the air, tie a rope around her middle....you name it, we had to tie it, because the cow went beserk when the milk started coming out. You could tug on her all day if you weren't getting any milk out, but squirt one drop and the cow went mad! We sold her......
hmm.png

Do you have a milking stand with a feeding station? This helps a lot...little feed to keep her busy, she is up on a stand and you are comfortable and able to visualize her udder well.

I started milking in January and it still takes me longer than I think it should. Having a kicker sure doesn't make it any easier though does it? After spending way too much time tying my doe to the milk stand, I finally bought a hobbles and that has made it much easier. I can now milk out both my does in about 30mins. That includes going out to get the grain for the first doe, milking her, straining and putting her milk in the freezer, getting grain for the second doe and milking her. Every day it takes a little bit less time, but there were definitely times at the beginning with my kicker that I was ready to pack it in. Just hang in there!

Thanks so far... Yes, BeeKissed I have a milking stand that came with the goats. I had to actually shove the one goat in there because she was soooooo unwilling. I felt bad. She is scared and she follows the other goat around like its her mother.

I'm ordering a hobble. I appreciate that recommendation and I think I need one before my head gets kicked. Those little Nigerians are cute and small, but about 80 pounds of cute and small!
big_smile.png

I guess my dilemma if I can describe it is that I feel I'm always resituating my thumb and finger and reinventing the process for each grasp. The woman who taught me squeezed and POW that milk flowed and she did it so fast, she had a whole stripper cup filled in less than 2 minutes from just one teat!

Today, I felt I had to massage the milk bag and when I grasped, the only way it would come down was by me holding the bag...on the one side, even twisting the upper part of the bag and teat. Then it came flowing, but then the readjustment once again and I'd lose it.

I badically get teh teats between my thumb and forfinger and kinda clamp down and then the other findgers just basically move the milk down. I have Nigis and larger does that I milk and I milk 4 large girls right now and get it don in about 20 to 30 minutes. I have 2 stanchions and I milk 1 freestanding. then Miss little teats is the last 1 to be milked and she takes the longerst. Yep the fingers and hands move down and I adjust alot. I just basically depends on the goat and if you need to go get another lesson from the lady that taught you. she shouldnt have any problem with helping you get the hang of it. I have a milk cow and much rather milk the goats at the goats cant knock my head off with tehir feet and a cow can.
My cow is a sweety but the first few days after freshening she is a stinker till she gets unsore. got to watch the feet. Give me goats anyday...hang in there it gets easier as you build up your muscles, or buy a milking machine.

Quote:
I think that's normal until you really get the hang of it. My younger doe just kidded a few days ago and her teats are smaller than my other doe so I am figuring out the best way to milk her. I readjust a lot trying to find the best way. I know I'll eventually figure it out and so will you!

Back
Top Bottom