need feeder ideas - what feeder do you use and love?

erindubb

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Hi - I am going out of town for a few days soon and am SOOO worried about the chickens already. I am planning on making a waterer with some nipples, but am having a hard time deciding what feeder will work. I have four chickens. The feeder I have now - I HATE IT!!! It is just a mason jar with one of those metal things with the holes. I feel like there is SOOOOO much waste. I have to dump out whatever is left in the bottom to refill it. Plus they waste most if it by scratching it around. Is there a feeder with less waste? Oh yeah - mine gets all moist too. Is that normal? It is really humid here - but the feed gets all goopy and they go though one of those things every day or every other day - so it's not sitting there for all that long. I am nervous that if I make a feeder that will hold more - it will get nasty if it has holes. Any advice PRETTY PLEASE . and pictures. Thanks....erin

Hi i made this pvc pipe feeder i have one of those
BILD0232.jpg

and i've got 2 of these feeders
BILD0229.jpg

thanks - Your chickens are ADORABLE!!
Do you like the PVC one? Does the food get moist? Do they waste a lot?

I got the same plastic hanging one that silkieowner has posted (mine has a red base instead of green) and I love it. There seems to be no waste at all !!!! I would recommend it
thumbsup.gif

them are two really good ideas i have the same tipe she or he has the second is what i have so good idea silkieowner

FYI: nipple waterers are nice but if you live in a zone that freezes in the winter, you will need a heat source or the nipples will freeze and no water.

I have a homemade feeder, 5 gallon bucket with lid, holes along the outside base up about 1/2" and screwed to an oil change pan. Sorry no pic but I think I got the idea off of a members page or maybe it was a link on the coop page. Anyway, it is my favorite feeder. I fill it once a week no fuss, no mess, very little waste.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-waterer.html
Best of luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom