Need flock to loose weight and not lay!

Great pointers here already!

I raise Cornish every now and then, but as already stated, these birds were destined for the freezer. They just come up with many health issues usually, and I often hear that most won't make it too long, but there must be a way?

If there is a way for you to allow them to free range, I would recommend it. And be strict on a feeding ration, since these birds love to eat. What to feed, I'm not too sure, but people already made good pointers.

A small story: my brother in law grew up a flock of chickens, and out of all his Rhode Island Reds, he did have one large white girl. None of us knew what she was until time passed, and we made the conclusion that she was a Cornish Cross. She was huge, but surprisingly not super heavy? I don't recall what he fed them, but she lived like a normal chicken. She was not a very good egg layer though, and would lay maybe 2 or 3 times a week. That being said, they did have a large run and weren't fed a whole lot either, so I think that helped her not gain as much weight so quickly?

Regardless, I would love to know how these girls do. I've considered trying to keep a hen or 2, just to try it out, but I'm afraid for their health past 3 months since I do feed them as recommended for the freezer. Maybe next time I'll try it out, but not feed them a ton.

Back
Top Bottom