Need Fridge Advice

herfrds

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Montana
Last week I noticed the freezer door on our fridge was open. Yelled at the kids telling them to make sure they close the door.
Went back later and it is open again. I closed it about 3 more times.
Last time I closed it I then went into the fridge part, shut that door and the freezer door popped open.
th.gif

Here i am blaming my kids and the seal had failed.

already went online and they do not replace the seals.

So now I am looking for a new fridge.
I like the double door fridge on top and freezer on the bottom. I would like the ice and water in the door and stainless steel to match my new stove.
Does anybody have one like this? Do you like it? Problems?

I am looking at a Kenmore.

I have a strip of duct tape holding the door closed.

I just wanted to say that I have my new one tilted back just a little. The doors close all by their self. Love it! No more accusing anyone of open doors. I did have a side by side, it died after a few years so I got a plain jane and love it. The simpler ones seem to last forever. I have no experience except for in store displays of what you are asking about though. Sorry I couldn't help!

OH the questions that pop up!!!

Side by side?
Top and bottom?
Cheap?
Expensive?
Water in the door?
Large Capacity?

I REALLY want one of those new ones with the freezer on the bottom and the ENTIRE top is the fridge!!

You're asking about the French Door fridges? wouldn;t have one. Why, I very much dislike the idea of freezer on hte bottom. I have a relatively new side by side and love it, although I would have gone with a counter depth one if I was re-selscting. This one is deeper than my old and ancient fridge that spent far too many years NOT dying. Love the water and ice in the door. One store display that I really likes, but was a bit beyond my price range (we replaced ALL the kitchen appliances) and would have required some remodeling was two full width side by side units. One was a fridge top to bottom, the other was a freezer top to bottom. but each was a full 36" wide.

The last time we got a freezer a friend of mine that works on them told all the brands are basicly the same, same refrigeration compressor etc is in a cheapo brand that is in a name brand. Now I pay more attention to price.

Steve

We have a big side by side with ice and water dispensers on the left freezer side. It works great and I do prefer it to the over and under type BUT the freezer isn't big enough for actually storing much food in - the ice maker takes up a lot of space, but neither was the over and under - you still need a big chest freezer in the garage if you want to really stock up on big cuts of meat, veggies and the rest and of course you need to make part of it reserved for the holday no chicken ever forgets.... Freezer Camp
wink.png

Try to get one with a 'door open' alarm, then when little Ms Naughty (or large Mr Drunk) 'forgets' to close the door a few minutes later it's 'beepedy beep, beepedy beep'

Don't have it leaning back too much, they work at their best when they are nearly level anything more than say 1/2" out front to back could shorten the life of your fridge.

I have a French-door fridge with bottom freezer drawer. Overall, I LOVE IT.

The freezer is big enough for 2 fat turkeys, and when you pull 'em out of the freezer they're less likely to slide out and land on your toes!

The only thing I don't like is that ours (samsung) has a third drawer inside the fridge part, and the drawer is the full width of the fridge, so you have to open both doors to get it open. Most of the time it's not a problem, but occasionally when I've got stuff in my hand and only want to open one door, I can't get in there.

They do them that way for catering trays, and it makes sense, but sometimes it's annoying.

The drawer is what makes the bottom freezer work. If it's just got a door, you have to stoop to see inside.

But with a drawer, everything gets stacked on top of each other--can't look in and say--gee, I'm low on frozen peas...or steaks...or whatever, without moving a bunch of things around, and if it is even close to full, there is no place to put it to allow you to see what is underneath. With shelves you can organize different things in different places and more easily see what you have plenty of and what is low. And to get into a bottom drawer, I have to stoop, so how is that any different than stooping for things on the bottom shelf? At least I don't have to stoop for things that are higher. Also, with a bottom freezer, small kids can more easily get in and take things that you really want extra control over (popcicles, ice cream, etc.). It's harder for littles to open a full length fridge door or a top freezer.

We have the two door with the freezer on the bottom. The biggest problem with the freezer is that when you pull the drawer out, if the ice cube container is full, some of the ice cubes get scraped off the top of the container, fall down behind the freezer baskets and occasionally skitter out onto the floor. Every month or so, I get down on my knees, pull the freezer drawer out and scrape all the ice cubes from the bottom of the freezer out onto a cookie sheet sitting on the floor in front of the unit. Also, sometimes, if you've had both fridge doors open and shut them in a certain order, the left hand door (which has the sealer gasket on it) will not shut completely. These are both minor issues to me, and we just had to train ourselves to double-check that the doors were both shut. Those are the only two problems I have with it. There might be a solution to the ice-cube problem, but I haven't bothered to get the instruction manual out to see if there's an adjustment that needs to be made. I really like the fridge being on top; makes it easier to see everything.

I have a freezer on the bottom and I HATE it. It was the fridge that was already here when we moved in so we didn't have a choice. Thankfully we have the deep freeze because other than the ice maker and some frozen popsicles for the kids there is nothing in the bottom freezer. I also agree about the ice cubes all over the place.... it's just a big pain. If you can't get a side by side I would suggest the top freezer IMO....

Back
Top Bottom