Need guidance: Ducks spastically tossing heads back and forth

jennaaiello

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2021
I’m very new to ducks, but just adopted 2 Khaki Campbell ducks who I have seen, on a number of occasions, move their heads back and forth in a way that doesn’t appear normal. I’m wondering if it’s just a duck behavior I’m not familiar with or if it’s something I should be worried about. Ive noticed they seem to do it a lot when my other ducks/chickens approach their pen, but I don’t know if this is just a coincidence.
To give you a better picture of the situation, please see my answers to the thread prompts below:
1) What type of bird, age and weight?
Both female Khaki Campbell ducks approximately 1.5 years. About 3.5-4 lbs apiece.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
It’s like a repetitive back and forth motion of the head, like they are going to pick something up off the ground, but then retreat, and repeat.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I noticed it the first day I brought them home. I’ve had them for a week.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
i have the new ducks quarantined, but no.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Not that is immediately apparent. Though one of them looks like it has some wing feather regrow that going on. Like maybe molt regrowth?
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that I know of.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
They appear to be eating, drinking, playing in their water with enthusiasm - no overt sluggishness. I put a little ACV in their water, and they are fed an organic chicken layer feed.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
It looks grey, watery
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? There are no vets available in my area. I’m looking farther out for an avian vet, but no luck so far.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. I
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
I have them in Eglus with chopped straw bedding. Their run has chopped straw.
Here’s a link to a video I took of the birds doing the head bob thing:

Where is their food and water? Do they have access to water when they want it? That does look like a social interaction, but its also their water bobbing motion.
They have food, water, pool out of frame. They have access to it during the day, but not in their coop at night. Yea, I’ve seen them do the bobbing in their water/pool too.

Back
Top Bottom