Need Guidance Please

I've found they may be uncomfortable for a few days,
it will heal up fine but can take months.
IMO, hands of before and especially after.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Happyhealthyhomestead
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2529371
Hello Aart! Thank you for your guidance. I'll set my location up. I'm located in Missouri and the weather is quite rude right now, as it has been for millions lately due to the polar vortex and solar minimum.

I would ignore it, it frequently happens. Humidity and volume of air are the true culprits, with the cold just being a side note.

Do send pictures of your set up, and where you are as stated above. Keeping the coop dry is of the most importance. Some combs are much more susceptible to frost bite, but mild cases tend to bother people more than they bother chickens.

Mrs K
Thank you Mrs. K. I'll get some photos when I get done working. It definitely seems to be bothering me more than it is Merica. He didn't seem to be acting any different.

I wonder if it's too tightly closed up so that the ventilation is compromised?

Some people have reported frostbite at temperatures barely below freezing when their ventilation was insufficient to remove the moisture that chickens generate in the coop.
Hello 3KillerBs! I would like to think that the issue was I had too much ventilation and when the winds kicked up, it was too much. At least that is what I'm considering from the research that I've done. I'm very green to this so I could be wrong though.

Hello 3KillerBs! I would like to think that the issue was I had too much ventilation and when the winds kicked up, it was too much. At least that is what I'm considering from the research that I've done. I'm very green to this so I could be wrong though.

The usual guideline is a minimum of 1 square foot per chicken of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- not counting windows closed in the winter or the pop door that's closed at night.

This ventilation is best placed over the birds' heads when they're on their roost so that no wind can blow on them directly.

This allows the warm moist air generated by their breath and their poop to rise and exit the coop rather than create icing conditions inside.

This is how I think it should be set up, I think that birds need at least 15 inches above their heads below the ceiling, not 15 inches from the roost. and the roosts need to be set up so that birds can be 12-15 from the wall. This keeps the dampness from their body heat and breath away from them.

The opening for ventilation needs to be on the side away from the prevailing wind. Mine is on the south. And mine is on the high point of the slanted roof.

However, I have very arid conditions, often times, most of the year in the 30% humidity. If/when I get frostbite, it is not in the bitter cold like now, everything is frozen and there for dry. It will be when the chinook blows in, all the manure, snow and ice melt all at once, humidity spikes and then gets cold that night.

I think it is more important to keep them dry, provide a wind shelter, then warm. When people want to keep them warmer, they shut up the coop tighter to trap the heat in, what they really trap in is the moisture.

Mrs K

The usual guideline is a minimum of 1 square foot per chicken of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- not counting windows closed in the winter or the pop door that's closed at night.

This ventilation is best placed over the birds' heads when they're on their roost so that no wind can blow on them directly.

This allows the warm moist air generated by their breath and their poop to rise and exit the coop rather than create icing conditions inside.
Okay. Thank you 3KillerBs. That's very helpful. I wasn't aware.

Back
Top Bottom