Need Hatch Rates of Other Hova Bator 1588 Owners Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mtnviewfarms, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Chicken Lovers -

Last weekend we hatched out 31 healthy chicks from 42 eggs for a 75% hatch rate using the Hova Bator Genesis 1588 with egg turner.

Granted, we were hatching eggs from my 10 month old pullets, but still had expected a higher hatch rate as we a more than adequate number of very healthy young cockerels over pullets of the four breeds that we currently have in our main laying flock.

The eggs we chose to incubate were all very uniform and large to extra large in size - no egg set was older than two days post lay.

The eggs were placed in the turner inside the unit that had been pre-heated for 24 hours and then 'allowed to settle' for 24 hours before we started the turner.

Most of our eggs are very dark - majjority laid by Welsummers - and nearly impossible to candle so DH and I routinely choose to skip that part of the incubation 'process' - I know - not a good idea but that's just how we do it.

We would appreciate your opinions and experiences with hatch rates and/or other tips we can use to increase our future hatch rates when using the Hovabator Genesis 1588 Unit.

Thanks so much.

BTW - Our little chick crosses - now four days old - of these four breeds - Welsummmers, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Black Australorps and Easter Eggers - are the most adorable chicks weI've ever seen and we've seen quite a few!

We've never incubated eggs of mixed parentage before but on seeing how well these turned out we may just start hatching out crosses vs. taking the additional trouble of separarting out our 4 breeds - but then that's a topic for another post!

Have a great day friends and thanks for your replys!

Elaine & Phillip
    Mountain View Farms
    Ellijay ~ GA

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. Becca727

Becca727 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    Just got mine and have 2 weeks left! I'll let you know how I do!

3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    75% is pretty respectable for that unit. make sure its out of the sunlight, that can give you fits. did your chicks hatch on day 21?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by