Need hatching buddy! Setting 5 duck and 5 hen eggs Sat 1/16

Quote:
Oh, did you have any hatch? It can be difficult, I've had humidity issues in the past, I think they were drowning. These guys seemed to be doing fine and were almost there... Things happen. I will be trying again soon, I hope you all will, too. I really do love hatching out the chicks...it's alot of fun!

I had 3 ee's hatch and 1 BCM died while zipping (so close). I had 3 of 19 hatch. Am leaving the bator alone until am so I can autopsy before garbage man comes. I had a few mishaps over the 21 days and 3 of my BCM eggs broke during shipping-prob. too many factors working against them. I'll try hatching more of our ee eggs for others that want them-don't want to keep buying eggs until I feel more confident. You're right, it is fun!
smile.png

I'm so glad that you had some hatch! I am recalibrating...I bought a certified thermometer from Carolina Scientific, so I can calibrate my other thermometers. I'll also recalibrate both of my hygrometers and be looking for eggs again REAL SOON!
smile.png
If I can find where my mutt hens are laying, I'll do a practice hatch again... Take care all!

Last edited:
My chick doesn't look any worse, maybe a hair better. Maybe. Out of the 4 eggs I put under the silkies, I got 4 chicks! I guess one was late because the egg ended up in the fridge for an hour. All looks good with them.

I still have 5 duck eggs that are due to hatch this Saturday. I am not sure if lockdown is 3 days before expected hatch (like the chickens) or not?

I finally turned my incubator off today I did good overall somewhere between 40-50 chicks, two died in the incubator after hatching one appeared to have something wrong with it the other was very small and looks like he may have just gotten trampled I had three that did not open they have a few small cracks and unlike others I dont usually open unhatched eggs. It is either really yucky or they do end up showing signs of life and you try and save them and they rarley do well if they survive at all. I worked for about a hour to clean the incubator out the part I always hate and will be getting ready for another batch to start in a few days.

Well, let's see. I started another hatch last Thursday morning. One of the eggs smelled really bad, so it was thrown away. 2 days later, I find an egg oozing, no smell. I threw that away. Then I tossed the rest of them thinking it was probably a bad batch. 12 hours later, I got the 12 left out of the trash, cause they might not be bad, I may have jumped the gun. 3 were broken. Inside was development. The other 9 I put in water and they sunk. Fresh. Candled. Saw some real faint possible development. Put them back in the bator. So there's 9 in there, and Wednesday night I'll candle and see what's up. Anyone think I have a chance?

I have a duck!!
jumpy.gif
Two days early?? I wasn't even looking and my son walks buy the bator and said "oh, the ducks are hatching?" and I said

"No....not yet" and he said "well there is a duck!" sure enough a fully hatched, almost dry, duck and 3 out of 4 remaining eggs with pips.

The Welsh Harlequin can be sexed at birth by bill color so the first one is a drakelet. Total surprise!

Quote:
thats awesome!! ha ha ha perfect now you dont have to anticipate and worry about the start of hatch because its already here!

im collecting for the next hatch. will load up the incubator saturday night. this will be a mostly mixed bunch as im trying to create a new breed of chicken that will be brown egg layers, slow growing, good meat birds and roosters that dont try to flog you all the time. i have a nice brown red cubalaya rooster in with barred rock and ri red hens. i have a red pyle cubalaya roo in with black jersey giant hens. the cubalaya should put more breast meat on them and make them friendlier while the barred rock, ri red, and jersey giant should make them good brown egg layers and give them good size. will have to see what colors they come out and then breed best to best. this project will take a few years to see if it works. we will eat the extra cockerels and sell the
18815_222.jpg
hens that we dont want as mixed brown egg layers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom