Need Help! 2 Roosters

gvntofly05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
IN
I have a flock of 32 hens and 2 roos. The 2 roos have been fine until today. They have had a few small squabbles here and there but today, ALL DAY, has been all out war!

They have bloodied each other pretty good. Currently one is in the coop with the hens and the other is in my large brooder in the shed. I am at my wits end. I can not spend my days babysitting the roos.

For most of the day I just let them go because I know they need to work out who is the top dog but when they started to bloody each other pretty bad I stepped in. I kept them separated for most of the evening but when I went to put everybody in for the night they started at it again. That's when I grabbed one and locked him in the brooder.

Am I going to have to make the decision which one to keep? They are both really pretty BCMarans and I am not so sure that one will be able to service 32 hens.

Is there anything I can do?

Well, you can always have two separate runs... Or you can keep a bachelor pad and alternate days with the ladies... Or maybe today was it, and tomorrow they will do okay together. Are you shooting for hatching eggs, is that why you need all of the ladies serviced??? You can always watch and see who favorite hens are, because they're sure to be fertile...??

Quote:
A second coop and run are in planning but not in the real near future.
sad.png
Need to get hubby working on it and that has been tough going!

Yes hatching eggs are my main goal!
big_smile.png
It's always nice to know my eggs will be hatched instead of eating. Plus I have a list of local people that want chicks and started pullets in the spring!

Back
Top Bottom