Need Help Adding Hiding Places for Chicks

Any ideas on a small enclosure I could add to the run that would let the babies in but keep the big girls out, so they could eat and drink and get away if necessary? I am not handy, so can't build something.

Just look around your house and yard for anything with holes, or anything you can cut holes in, then sit the thing in a way that little chicks can get in but big chickens cannot. As I look around my own house, I see quite a few possibilities:

A big cardboard box. (Put it on its side, push the open part against the side of the run so light & air get in but big chickens do not, and cut chick-sized holes in several places.)

A rabbit cage (the kind that are just box made of wire mesh, with no solid parts). Use use wire cutters to snip out some pieces of wire to make chick-sized holes.

A wire dog crate, or dog kennel panels. Many of those have mesh large enough for chicks to go through, at least until they grow a bit.

Lay a pallet on the ground in the run, and put one of the low trough-style feeders underneath. Chicks can often run under a pallet, but adult chickens often cannot.

Stack bricks or concrete blocks with chick-sized spaces between them, then put the grill from an old BBQ grill on top to keep the big birds out.

Turn a plastic laundry basket upside down and put a big rock on top so it stays in place. Cut the holes in the sides a bit bigger, until they are the right size for your chicks.

If you have a door or gate between pens, prop it open so the opening is just chick sized, then have one pen be the safe chicks space. (You need two props: one to keep the door from closing all the way, the other to keep it from opening any further. They can be almost any combination of rocks, bricks, pieces of wood, a rope, etc.)

Whatever you use, check to be sure the chicks can go in & out but the adults cannot, and be sure it cannot get knocked over and squish any of your chickens.

Last edited:
I currently have 6 hens and a rooster. Two of the hens have gone broody. The first has 6 one-week old babies and the second will hatch her clutch in 2 weeks (so the original babies will be 3 weeks old). So I have 2 weeks to figure out how to handle this. Currently, I have Josie and her 6 babies in the original little coop I bought before I realized how misleading those advertisements are and bought a larger coop.

The little coop is butted right next to the big coop which runs parallel so there is a see but no touch situation in place. I am considering moving them into the big coop, but Josie (the current mama) was lowest on the pecking order. Princess (the second broody) on the other hand is top of the pecking order, so I am wondering if I should just let her stay in the big coop with her babies.

Either way, I am not sure how to deal with food and water. The big coop has a treadle feeder and nipple waterer. I could add a feeder for the babies, but pretty sure the big girls would just eat it all or just spread it all over the ground. I did put a crate under the poop board inside the coop for the little family to sleep in. Any ideas on a small enclosure I could add to the run that would let the babies in but keep the big girls out, so they could eat and drink and get away if necessary? I am not handy, so can't build something.
This is what I did for my littles

Attachments

• 20210328_135708.jpg
    20210328_135708.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210417_204055.jpg
    20210417_204055.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom