Need help/advice on young hen that stopped laying....

NaomiB1213

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 29, 2012
Hello,
I am very new to chickens and have 4 laying hens that just started laying two weeks ago. All four were laying an egg a day until one of them stopped laying completely after three days...she is not moving much, her tail is down, she is eating and drinking a little and her feces is very runny and is white streaks/green and brownish black. I wondered if she was egg bound and gave her a warm bath(she seemed to like it) but nothing happened. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Naomi

She could be eggbound. You can give her a long warm bath and then lube up her vent with olive oil and see if you can feel an egg stuck in there. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can do- long, warm baths, lube in the vent, and hope for the best. Hopefully she will be able to pass whatever is binding her up.

Let us know how she does.

Thanks!
So today she seems to still be in pain walking but I made her some scrambled eggs and she is eating all of them. I looked at her vent and didn't see anything that looked like an egg but maybe it broke??? nothing came out either. Her comb started turning darker yesterday. I also forced some olive oil down her throat in case it was an impacted crop....which I honestly have no idea what it should feel like. Hoping I can figure out what is wrong here soon.

Back
Top Bottom