Need help ASAP! 2nd chicken sick now

wendibob

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
Hoping all of you experienced chicken peeps can help me out- One of my hens became ill last week. Her symptoms included difficulty walking (due to balance issues)- She was stumbling around and sitting down on her rear end a lot to get her balance. That eventually ended up with her just sitting period. I quarantined her immediately and had hopes of a recovery- She was still eating and drinking and was very alert. She lived 3-4 days like that before passing. Went out to let my flock out last night and noticed another hen exhibiting the same exact symptoms. Her posture is noticeably "upright" with her rear end close to the ground. Very very worried that I have something serious going on here that could wipe out my flock. Any advice is welcome please!

After getting home from work I was able to catch the sick hen and give her a good once over. She's got a big sore on one foot between toes (inside of sore is black) and the other foot looks really swollen. Still "duck walking" and keeping her rear end close to the ground. Is this Mareks? I'll do some research online- I've had all babies I bought vaccinated but I'm guessing they can still get it?

After getting home from work I was able to catch the sick hen and give her a good once over. She's got a big sore on one foot between toes (inside of sore is black) and the other foot looks really swollen. Still "duck walking" and keeping her rear end close to the ground. Is this Mareks? I'll do some research online- I've had all babies I bought vaccinated but I'm guessing they can still get it?
Sounds like Bumble foot....What type of roosts?

If it is Mareks is there anything I can do to save the rest of my flock?

If it is Mareks is there anything I can do to save the rest of my flock?
If it is Mareks?? No, only time will tell. Some survive but lots die.
Others here might try and tell you different remedies...They do not work.
Sore swollen feet sounds like bumble foot. I have never had that in all my years of Chickens.
I know wet damp areas or wrong perches can cause it.

I think you have bumblefoot in your one hen, but it would be nice to see some pictures. Your other hen could have had one of a number of things wrong, from a vitamin deficiency, egg yolk peritonitis, another type of infection, such as cocci, dehydration, or yes, Mareks. There is a good article to search at the top of this page called "The Great BIG Giant Mareks Faq" that has much info including lookalike diseases. If you lose another hen to suspicious symptoms, be sure and get a necropsy by your state vet or poultry college.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your replies- I took a few pics of her feet and they do indeed look like bumblefoot. Poor girl. I will get her some help tomorrow as I don't feel comfortable tackling that surgery by myself. Keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of my flock stays healthy. Thanks again!

Here is a pic of her right foot. I've got an appointment for her first thing in the morning with an avian vet.

Back
Top Bottom