Need help ASAP for backyard chicks

NewbieChickenMa

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2017
Hi:
I had no intention of having backyard chickens, but my neighbor has some that frequent our yard quite a bit. Their hen has laid eggs numerous times in our yard and recently some chicks hatched (like just a couple of days ago). Mom died. I'm not sure how yet, but I can see her feathery body and flies in between my fence and another neighbor (more on their side so I can't fully see the hen), but the chicks are gathered around there. What do I do with the chicks? My neighbor has no interest in actually caring for the chicks, he just lets them free roam, but I'm afraid without mom they'll die outside.
I live in Florida so it's not cold. Temperature should go down to 69 degrees F tonight. I have no idea what temperature they should be at. Hubby doesn't want me to bring them inside the house. Will they be fine outside? Should I bring them in?
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Hi:
I had no intention of having backyard chickens, but my neighbor has some that frequent our yard quite a bit. Their hen has laid eggs numerous times in our yard and recently some chicks hatched (like just a couple of days ago). Mom died. I'm not sure how yet, but I can see her feathery body and flies in between my fence and another neighbor (more on their side so I can't fully see the hen), but the chicks are gathered around there. What do I do with the chicks? My neighbor has no interest in actually caring for the chicks, he just lets them free roam, but I'm afraid without mom they'll die outside.
I live in Florida so it's not cold. Temperature should go down to 69 degrees F tonight. I have no idea what temperature they should be at. Hubby doesn't want me to bring them inside the house. Will they be fine outside? Should I bring them in?

They will die without another mom or your intervention. They need to be kept at 90° the first week, dropping 5 degrees every week til same as outside or fully feathered. You can do this by putting them in box lined with paper towels in bottom in garage, or other secure place if hubby doesn't want in house, with 100 watt light bulb if that's all you have. Keeping them warm is crucial. They need chick starter food and some water...That's about bare minimum to help the survive. The box or Rubbermaid the tote needs big enough to allow them to move around and get outta the heat if needed. The water should be shallow so they can't get in and drown or you can place clean sponge in it to prevent drowning too. If they are only a day or 2 old you can give them sugar water until you can get food tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi:
Chicks are not able to regulate their temperature. Without a momma hen to snuggle against for a warm up, they will chill and die, even if it's warm. They need access to a heat source that will warm them to the proper body temp, about 99*. A heating pad can do the job, if you have one.

Do you have a desk lamp, and a regular (not LED) lightbulb of any size? Put that in the box.....

They will die without another mom or your intervention. They need to be kept at 90° the first week, dropping 5 degrees every week til same as outside or fully feathered. You can do this by putting them in box lined with paper towels in bottom in garage, or other secure place if hubby doesn't want in house, with 100 watt light bulb if that's all you have. Keeping them warm is crucial. They need chick starter food and some water...That's about bare minimum to help the survive. The box or Rubbermaid the tote needs big enough to allow them to move around and get outta the heat if needed. The water should be shallow so they can't get in and drown or you can place clean sponge in it to prevent drowning too. If they are only a day or 2 old you can give them sugar water until you can get food tomorrow.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do. We have a small house, with no garage or shed or any secure place other than inside the house. Trying to convince hubby to let them in :( while trying to see if I can't find someone else who keeps chickens to take them.

Keep us updated...and btw, welcome to Backyard Chickens! Be sure to check out the Learning Center for all the how to's.....

Back
Top Bottom