Need Help ASAP! (Hatching problems)

diamondsilkies

Songster
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Arizona
I'm hatching some speckled hamburg eggs for a friend of mine who doesn't have an incubator. I had one hatch last weekend from her flock's eggs that went really well, 11/12 hatch rate. The first one from this batch just hatched and had some goo hanging off of him that was attached to the egg still. The egg shell has since fallen off, but the goo is still stuck to him and is starting to bleed a little. I'm worried that maybe this is the egg yolk that he didn't completely absorb in the shell, as today is only day 19. I've never had this happen before and I'm not sure what I should do for him. Please help!

IMG_4045.JPG

I would press a small bit of paper towel on the area that is bleeding and hold it there for a few minutes if you have no styptic powder or quik stop. Then put it back in the bator.

Okay, I did as suggested and the bleeding seems like it was pretty quick. It stopped after a minute or so and didn't show any signs of starting up again. I've been checking on him pretty often and he seems okay, if not a little quiet

Okay, I did as suggested and the bleeding seems like it was pretty quick. It stopped after a minute or so and didn't show any signs of starting up again. I've been checking on him pretty often and he seems okay, if not a little quiet
How did this turn out?
What is that sticking out?

After making sure it wasn't bleeding, I just let him dry off in the incubator. Whatever it was attached to him dried up, and I cut it off with some scissors near the end. He seems fine, although I'm keeping an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom