Need help ASAP impacted crop *UPDATE*

ChickenChik

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Kinsey, Alabama
I think that my duckling has an impacted crop. It is very swollen. My sister was just over and fed them a ton of peas. When I massage his crop he threw up A LOT of peas. What else do I need to do. It is still a little swollen. Please help me

Last edited:
I am thinking he has too much in his crop - can you massage the crop a little more? Can he drink anything? I am trying to remember anything I can about treating this.

If he truly chokes you may need to open his mouth and help him get rid of what is in his throat.

added: do you have any flexible surgical tubing, or something similar?

Last edited:
From Storey:

When a duck obviously needs your assistance, pull its head forward until it is in a straight line with the neck, open the bill by squeezing with the thumb and index finger on both corners of the bill, and push your finger, a piece of half inch rubber tubing, or the eraser end of a new pencil down the bird's throat until the obstruction is dislodged.

Thank you so much amiga. I did what u said about extend the neck and he threw up like 4 whole peas.he still has little in there but not as bad. does he need any grit u think?

Well, right now let's see how he looks for the next half hour or so... I would just see if he will take a little (a little!) water.

Longer term, yes, grit is a good idea. Has he had any so far?

added: how old and big is he right now?

Last edited:
Right now I would not give him grit until he has calmed down. I bet his crop is pretty irritated at the moment. I would suggest to cook some chamomile tea and put that into his drinking water. It is calming and anti inflammatory. Perhaps you can add some sand to his diet later. Or at least offer him a small bowl with some. Ducks do need grit to absorb food, but they can go without it for 2 days without a problem. I don't give any grit to my ducks, but they are outdoor all day. I will need to add it in winter when they cannot eat dirt. Restrict the amount of peas so he cannot overeat on it. Best is to use a small cup so you don't hand out to much of it.

Ok I got out a TON of peas (darn sister). There is still. A little in his crop not much and the swelling has definately gone down. Is that okay? He is more active than when I first noticed and he will drink a little. Anything else I should do? Should I try to get out what little bit is left or just let it digest? Thank y'all for helping me. Also, what should I do for the rest of the night? Add sand? Massage more? Thanks y'all again? Please tell me he will be ok. Added: he is 1 week old and do not have any of that kind of tea just regular anything else you suggest?

A

Last edited:
hugs.gif

I think water for the next couple of hours, like katharinad said, let his little crop rest. He will be okay without food for a couple of hours.

Updated: After letting his tummy rest, you might give him very well moistened crumbles like baby food - no pellets. It is okay to give them wet food if you don't leave it there longer than overnight (leaving it too long it could mold, which is bad for them).

Regular tea won't be a help, if I think of something else that won't sting his insides I will post something. If katharinad is still with us, perhaps there is another alternative.

But plain fresh water may be his best treatment until bedtime. Oh, and love and affection and attention!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom