Need Help - Best Chickens for Tick Control and Eggs?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheHomesteadery, Apr 30, 2017.

1. TheHomesteadery

TheHomesteadery New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Hi! We just bought a smallish farm with a big field and tons of ticks. TONS. We want to have chickens for the eggs but I'm also wondering if some breeds are better than others for tick control. I don't really want to get guinea hens because I read that they can wander pretty far and I don't know if our neighbors would really appreciate that.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

Sara

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I don't know if chickens are as fond of ticks as guineas are. Yes, I know the concerns, guineas wander, also like to roost high up in trees and make the most awful
    noises.

Maybe the next few responders will know more. I DO know the folks that can stand having guineas remark how great it is not having ticks all over them. People who have had lyme disease put up with their bad traits.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Sara and welcome to BYC [​IMG]

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If you have tons,your neighbors have tons. Talk with them about guineas. They might welcome any solution to the problem.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under TheHomesteadery [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry I am not able to help you with your tick question but I did just want to say that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by