Need help.. Chicken fat, or a thick stock?

Aust1227

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Hello there.

I slow cooked three roos yesterday. After they were cooked through I strained off the stock/broth and picked the carcasses clean.

I put the big bowl of stock into the fridge, in an attempt to solidify the fat, so I could scrape it off the top.

Instead, the ENTIRE BOWL of broth is now one consistant gelatinous chunk..

What exactly am I looking at? Is it gelatinous because it is ALL fat, or because of the collagan that was in the carcass? It is clear, like a bown of yellowish jello.. It is WAY thicker than the chicken stock I am used to (boiling off the carcus only after eating eating roasted bird).

Any advice would be helpful.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there.

I slow cooked three roos yesterday. After they were cooked through I strained off the stock/broth and picked the carcasses clean.

I put the big bowl of stock into the fridge, in an attempt to solidify the fat, so I could scrape it off the top.

Instead, the ENTIRE BOWL of broth is now one consistant gelatinous chunk..

What exactly am I looking at? Is it gelatinous because it is ALL fat, or because of the collagan that was in the carcass? It is clear, like a bown of yellowish jello.. It is WAY thicker than the chicken stock I am used to (boiling off the carcus only after eating eating roasted bird).

Any advice would be helpful.

Sorry no one has responded....

I don't know either.
hu.gif

Top Bottom