NEED HELP CHICKEN MAY BE DYING

Thank you for all the help. She is now taking her lasts breaths. She will be in a better place now. Thank y’all worse experience I’ve had to go through. Love you big girl
So sorry for your loss. I was thinking she could have a condition called 'Gleet' but sounds like it's too late. In future, most avian vets will see pet chickens. Avian vets specialize in bird care. I am glad she's out of pain.

Thank you for all the help. She is now taking her lasts breaths. She will be in a better place now. Thank y’all worse experience I’ve had to go through. Love you big girl
I am very sorry for your loss. :hugs I hate to mention this at such a sensitive time as I don't want you to think I don't care, but I do care, I really do.:hugs I have found that doing a necropsy after death gives a little relief because in cases like this because there is almost always an obvious cause of death, which is is always the type that is not treatable, like cancer, internal laying, or EYP. Doing these necropsies has taught me some birds cannot be saved and taught me not to beat myself up with the "could haves", "should haves" and "would haves". Whatever you decide though, please know that this is probably one of those cases where nothing could have been done to help her. :hugs

Ascites is common in some hens from heart or liver failure, and also in reproductive disorders. A vet could drain her belly, and that might help her temporarily, but the fluid does accumulate again. You can try draining yourself with a 14 gauge or 16 gauge needle, but it is not without risks. Here is a YouTube video about how to drain:

I've always wondered why a shunt couldn't be put in, like is used to drain fluids from people after surgery, or from their heads when there's fluid pressing against the brain. Something that could be capped and covered to be kept clean, but could be drained regularly.

Last edited:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been where you are, holding your dear, loved hen as she takes her last breaths. Mine was from a brutal raccoon attack, but I still know what it feels like to feel helpless as all you can do is make her as comfortable as possible until she passes. My hen seemed like she held on until she could tell me goodbye, and as soon as I discovered her and held her for a bit, she passed. So I do know the heartache you are feeling, and just want you to know that you are not alone. All of us who have chickens will, at one point or another, be where you are now. It's simply inevitable, as they don't live as long as we do, even if they never get sick or injured. :hit

Just know that she knew you were trying to help her, that you loved her, and that you wanted her not to be in pain. :hugs

I am so so sorry for your loss, one time I had a mother hen and my favorite chicken jumped in the coop with her, her foot got stuck in the chicken wire. The mother hen was protecting her chicks but she ripped her scalp off. I could see her scull and when I found her she was still alive, I gave her some food and water with quick chick but she was miserable so we put her out of her misery. What helped me get over this was painting a rock to put where we buried her

Back
Top Bottom