need help choosing a breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by key west chick, Sep 17, 2009.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    My parents are preparing for doomsday and have decided to get a small flock of chickens. They are looking for something hardy, lays well and also would make a decent eating bird. I've heard so many problems about hatchery layers with internal laying and things like that. Egg color doesn't matter, just as long as the egg isn't small. I was thinking Wyandotte or Australorp. Any other suggestions? We live in north Ga so we don't have a real cold winter.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    what's wrong with your EE's?

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I think I would go with something along the lines of the heritage breeds (rocks, RIR, NP). They are good dual purpose birds.

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Orpingtons are hardy, lay well and make a good table bird and come in different colors.

5. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    If they go for Wyandottes then you should probably try to get breeder birds rather than hatchery stock. There are a few discussions going in this forum about bad tempered hatchery Wyandottes..

Personally I [​IMG] them, mine are so sweet tempered - and good layers too. I've had Wyandottes, Orpingtons and Australorps and I would recommend all three breeds. I prefer Wyandottes because of their awesome colors [​IMG] They are also good dual purpose.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My older wyandottes are great, but they are from McMurray and they are really small. Not nearly as pretty as ones I've seen on here.

You are in a good location! You can get lots of great birds/eggs from BYC members nearby [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by