Need help convincing my husband we should get chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CandaceWallace, Aug 8, 2013.

1. CandaceWallace

CandaceWallace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    My husband does not want chickens. He thinks (from growing up near some I guess) that they are loud and stink. I want to get two-three egg layer hens. That's it! You would think I'm asking for a huge flock. Any tips on how I can persuade him? Yes, he likes eggs, but he says they are cheep at the store so better that way. GRRRR!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! My (late) husband wasn't a chicken lover either, but he built me a coop and got me some chickens because he said he knew it would make me happy, and he was right! I don't know of a way to convince him, but if you keep the coop clean they won't stink and if you don't have any roosters, hens are fairly quiet. They only make noise when laying an egg, the egg song is hilarious! Good luck to you.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Candace, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! I would take the healthy eggs approach. And as liz9910 said, hens are generally pretty quiet and a cared for coop need not be stinky. Hope it goes your way!!

5. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC! :D

6. desertegg

desertegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    Mine don't stink at all, and the sounds are barely noticeable. When I wanted chickens, I just started building their enclosure, and my husband jumped in to "do it right" even though he really thought we should wait to get chickens. I'm using this same strategy to get him to paint the house right now, even though he really thinks we should wait until... Good luck! Happy chickens equal a happy wife!

7. CandaceWallace

CandaceWallace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    I drew out my coup plans for the side of the house where he won't see or hear them. LOL. I think he has finally given in. Thanks everyone! Now to start building my coup!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Often the husband is the hold out but once the chicks arrive, most of them give in. In fact some get very protective of their new kids and want to take over. I think that will happen to your husband also. And of course, it's always wise to make "mama" happy.

9. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Good luck, I hope he gives in. They are so easy to take care of. My daughter and I share a home with my mom and she has absolutely nothing to do with them, doesn't even see them because of where the coop is located. They really don't stink if they are taken care of correctly.

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by