Need help deciding how to accessorize my coop !

Quote:
I'm not totally sure which I'm going to do, paint or vinyl on the floor, but I know that it won't be just plain wood ! I like the idea of a poop board also , that is one of the flaws with my coop now, there is a peice of plywood for the roost, and you can't imagine how gross it gets ! But I'm just glad to have had this "starter " coop , now I know more about what I want my new coop to have / not have !!
smile.png

I have chickens and goats. My goats are wethered males so having a combined living space doesn't work. Wethered males should not have any grain as it can cause urinary calculi and death. Goats LOVE chicken feed and would eat it all if they had the chance. I have to keep them separate for eating purposes. Here is my set-up. I have a 7x7 shed for the chickens with a fenced in run where they eat.

34566_cluckawalla-10.jpg

Then we built a three-sided shelter for the goats with a big elevated doghouse for sleeping. They like to be up high. Their hay feeder is on the wall. We have to keep it covered as the chickens like to lay eggs in it. One thing you want to know about goats is that they have two reasons for living. Number one is eating and number 2 is pooping. Plan ahead.

34566_cluckawalla-9.jpg

When they aren't eating, they all hang out together on a quarter acre. Here are the boys, hanging out, talking smack about the girls.

34566_cluckawalla-14.jpg

Here are the girls ignoring the boys:

34566_cluckawalla-13.jpg

My number one must have with my coop is the automatic door opener.

34566_unhatched-3.jpg

And we had to build this covered pophole to keep the boys out of the chicken yard. We kept making it smaller and smaller till they couldn't squeeze in. They will do anything to get to the chicken food!

34566_unhatched-4.jpg

It all works! Good luck with yours!

Mary

Quote:
Do you have pics ? Sounds interesting, would love to see it !What is beard moss ? I have never heard of it , I just use shavings.

well my pics r a litl 2 big 4 this web site but to answer ur q... beerd moss looks like beerds growin in trees! i dont know if its wer u liv but is every were in florida! the brds like it 2 cuz they can sleep and eet at the same time cuz there are teeny tiny bugs called chiggers in it that will get on u and crawl under ur skin ( literally
sickbyc.gif
) and bite u! the only way to remov em is by coverin it in nail polish!

for the OP
1. yes vinyl floors a biggie
2. I will post apic in the AM of my chicken litter box which is AWESOME or you can do a search on here, the original designer was cyanne.
3. Also We made a feeder off of plans on here out of PVC pipe, the feed stays dry and fresh, there is no waste, never any poop in it and it holds almost 50 lbs. I will post apic of that as well in the AM but I did find the plans on here and you might be able to find it in a search.
4. also the ability to collect eggs without entering the pen is a huge time saver.
5. we added a storage area attatched to the chicken house for all supplies and extra feed, this cut my chores down to about 5 min morn and night.
I am currently looking for a better watering system . . . and I MUST have the plans for that auto door opener!

Quote:
I have seen homemade ones online but hubby and I aren't exactly mechanically gifted. We only have one door luckily. Good luck to you.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom