Need help deciding if this is mites!

Hkass

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2019
Idaho
I have one hen that I thought was getting picked on. However after observing them and looking closely at the spot where she is missing feathers I am wondering if she has mites? If so, when I treat her, I need to treat the coop too....I have sand inside the coop. Do I remove the sand or just spray it down? None of the others have any signs but I am guessing she just has a bad case?? I have all hens, no rooster so I know it's not from a rooster pulling out her feathers when mating. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190821_173344.jpg
    20190821_173344.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 17
It's hard to tell if that's just caked on sand or lice/mites. Do you have more photos of the whole hen?

You mention she's getting picked on, how old is she? Is it her rear that is balding or all over? Does she lay eggs? Is her abdomen bloated or fluid filled?

You may want to give her a wash up and see if all that rinses away. If you still can't decide, then I would treat her with Permethrin poultry spray.
As for the sand in the coop, to be honest, I don't know if all that needs to come out and replaced. Normally if there is an infestation, you would clean out all bedding from the housing and treat the coop.

It's hard to tell if that's just caked on sand or lice/mites. Do you have more photos of the whole hen?

You mention she's getting picked on, how old is she? Is it her rear that is balding or all over? Does she lay eggs? Is her abdomen bloated or fluid filled?

You may want to give her a wash up and see if all that rinses away. If you still can't decide, then I would treat her with Permethrin poultry spray.
As for the sand in the coop, to be honest, I don't know if all that needs to come out and replaced. Normally if there is an infestation, you would clean out all bedding from the housing and treat the coop.
This was her a few days ago...the feather loss has been getting worse each day. At first I assumed bullying but now I am not sure.

Attachments

• 20190819_171919.jpg
    20190819_171919.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 15
This was her a few days ago...the feather loss has been getting worse each day. At first I assumed bullying but now I am not sure.
Since that's on her back, the loss if likely from the others picking at her. I would still re-examine for bugs.

How much space do you have for them? (sqft of coop and run)?

I haven't dealt with mites yet, but I read someone say on here to wear a light colored glove and rub the dirt (to get some on the glove). If it moves, it's mites. I'm not sure that helps, but thought I'd pass it along. If you determine she has mites, I think you'll need to treat all your chickens. BTW, I would personally use Pryethrin rather than Permethrin. It is the organic version. Good luck!!! :fl

Since that's on her back, the loss if likely from the others picking at her. I would still re-examine for bugs.

How much space do you have for them? (sqft of coop and run)?
I have 4 birds. The coop itself is 8'x4'. The outside run is 8'x10'. I have ladders, roosts, stumps, blocks etc in the run to give them stuff to climb on. They have multiple feeding stations. I was told not to bother separating her because those feathers won't grow back until she molts next year. I did order a saddle to cover the bald spot.

I have 4 birds. The coop itself is 8'x4'. The outside run is 8'x10'. I have ladders, roosts, stumps, blocks etc in the run to give them stuff to climb on. They have multiple feeding stations. I was told not to bother separating her because those feathers won't grow back until she molts next year. I did order a saddle to cover the bald spot.
Wow. That just clarified something for me. I had one bird that was a little aggressive to two of my RIRs. Then I lost that hen to an eagle, but the RIR's feathers didn't come back. Now they are molting and those feathers are coming back! I was trying to figure that out. Thanks!

I wouldn't separate her out either. I do see a couple of pin feathers coming in, now those may get plucked you never know. If feathers are broken or if they are nipped off and the feather shaft is still intact in the skin, those will not be replaced until molting.
What do you feed including treats?

I wouldn't separate her out either. I do see a couple of pin feathers coming in, now those may get plucked you never know. If feathers are broken or if they are nipped off and the feather shaft is still intact in the skin, those will not be replaced until molting.
What do you feed including treats?
Purina complete layer crumble, oyster shells on the side. I have given them frozen watermelon, and frozen blueberries when it's hot. I have a flock block for them as well. They are all laying and all have bright red combs and wattle.

Back
Top Bottom