1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help Determining a Color on This Silkie :) NEW Pics!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickie Mamma, May 21, 2011.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, this chick was hatched a couple months ago. The eggs came from Bobbi Porto. The egg was marked "splash" but, she seems almost all white except for just a couple black spots. There are a couple on her head and a spot on one of her wings and one on her back. I thought the egg may have been mismarked, as she looked all white when born. Would she still be considered a splash?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    She's probably just a very washed out splash.

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Would her offspring come out the same? If I get a nice quality splash roo, would it be worth it to breed her? I think she is different, but if she is not going to throw out nice quality babies, she would have to go.

4. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    New Pics.. still a washed out splash? Her crest is coming in nicely, but she has that one spot on her head. She is pure white, not a light gray. Thanks [​IMG]

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, she's very pretty. Bumping this back up for you...

6. rustic roost

rustic roost Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Ohio
    In my understanding with breeding splashes is that they can varry greatly in their coloring. you can have one that is almost solid in the same batch have one with almost no splash. I'd say if the egg was marked splash it's a splash. I had a splash cochin that was almost solid blue! I'd breed heer a couple times to see what she throws before you decide if you want to get rid of her, she's very pretty and looks like a good quality silky!

7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I would breed her with a blue or black. she is really pretty.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Yes. Take rustic roost's advice, if you want to breed her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by