Need help diagnose death (may contain gory images)

Do you still have the bird to take a few closer pictures?

It’s a bobwhite, I’m in central Florida. I keep them in an outdoor aviary. Unfortunately I disposed of the body, here another picture of the lump if it’s any help.

Attachments

• 4765B3DB-3AD0-41A0-AFA4-3A51F575CB03.jpeg
    4765B3DB-3AD0-41A0-AFA4-3A51F575CB03.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 13
Appears to be a cancerous tumor(s). What is your feed source, % protien and where does their source of water come from...ie; well water, city or other?

Last edited:
Appears to be a cancerous tumor(s). What is your feed source, % protien and where does their source if water come from...ie; well water, city or other?

I’ve been giving them Modesto Turkey and game bird starter, it has 28% protein. Water is just water from the city. I do give them electrolytes and probiotics mix in their water once a week. I also give them egg shells from the eggs we already consumed. That’s about it, I’m not sure what would have cause the tumor. It looked pretty bad after I cut the bird open.

Could be a genetic abnormality? With all the GMO's in feed rations that are manufactured today and pesticides (Round up) that are sprayed on food crops...its hard to say whether it is a genetic abnormality or a man made tumor growth!

I’ve been giving them Modesto Turkey and game bird starter, it has 28% protein. Water is just water from the city. I do give them electrolytes and probiotics mix in their water once a week. I also give them egg shells from the eggs we already consumed. That’s about it, I’m not sure what would have cause the tumor. It looked pretty bad after I cut the bird open.
lymphoid leukosis or maybe Marek's?

lymphoid leukosis or maybe Marek's?
Not likely Marek's, it very rarely affects quail or turkeys but it can....primarily Japanese quail (Coturnix) have been subjected to infections by well meaning PhD's at various university's. Also, it seems to target female quail and not males as frequently.
Looking at the pics, I didn't see any indication of the liver or spleen having lesions, or if it did, it was microscopic.
2314931-7f9937827f3b78ca1c4ba08c76c7a385.jpg

Also, this quail was very emaciated in appearance! Indicating that it (the disease) has been present for some time.
Was this quail male or female?

Not likely Marek's, it very rarely affects quail or turkeys but it can....primarily Japanese quail (Coturnix) have been subjected to infections by well meaning PhD's at various university's. Also, it seems to target female quail and not males as frequently.
Looking at the pics, I didn't see any indication of the liver or spleen having lesions, or if it did, it was microscopic.
View attachment 2349575

Also, this quail was very emaciated in appearance! Indicating that it (the disease) has been present for some time.
Was this quail male or female?

It was a female, I believe she was living with the tumor for at least a month. Did not show any signs of being sick until the last 4 days, was grasping for air to breath before death.

It was a female, I believe she was living with the tumor for at least a month. Did not show any signs of being sick until the last 4 days, was grasping for air to breath before death.
As @casportpony , said, lymphoid leukosis, although more common in chickens than in gamebirds.
Looking at the pics of the necropsy, you can see that it had metastasized and it's emaciated appearance was another sign of the disease's progression.
Sorry for your loss!'

Back
Top Bottom