Need help! Egg laying problem!

Thank you for your reply, Kathy. What can I do for her? Does she need antibiotics? I can get some tomorrow, I just need to know what to get her. She is our sweet girl. I'm really worried about her.

Not sure what an appropriate antibiotic would be... Maybe Baytril or Clavamox? What can you get for her? Can you take her to a vet? If she still not acting like herself?

-Kathy

I can take her to a vet tomorrow. We had her inside for several hours and she ate some and drank. Then she became very restless and started calling for the other girls as it got darker. I put her in the coop and she hopped up to the roost bar and snuggled up to her best friend, our RIR. I thought it would be best for her to be with the girls instead of stressing her out indoors with us. I hope that was the right thing to do.

I know and that will tick my husband off, but she's so sweet. I have to help her.
Looking at the photo,looks like the egg broke just as she was laying it and most of it looks to have been expelled. Hopefully she passed all of the egg and no residue has been left. You mentioned her poop so far looks normal,keep an eye on her,she might be fine. How is she acting?

I should start by saying that I don't think any of you are wrong or that she *needs* to go to the vet, just that if there is any egg left inside her it will cause an infection that will more than likely cause death. This is based solely on some necropsies that I have done on hens that had similar problems. If you do decide to go to the vet talk to him/her about what types of antibiotic are used for this and why... Remember that you can buy antibiotics like Baytril, Clavamox, Amoxicillin, Cipro, Ampicillin, Cephalexin, Metronidazole, etc. labeled for tropical fish without a prescription, but shipping takes time, often time we don't have. To save money I usually get what I need from the vet if I don't already have it and order more online.

-Kathy

If you want to buy some generic Baytril do a search Enfloxil 10, it's 10% Enrofloxacin (100mg/ml).

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone for the responses!
Kathy, I think for now I'm going to watch her carefully. I checked out the soft shell that had broken. The part of the egg that was sticking out of her vent was the only part that was ruptured. I will say, when it was flattened out, the soft shell was HUGE. I'm 6' tall and have fairly large hands and it took up a big share of my palm. Poor girl. As of this morning she is perky, alert, and acting like herself. The poop board had normal poop. I checked specifically where she was roosting and it looked normal. I've been keeping an eye on her and she's eating, drinking, and interacting with the other girls normally. I may order some antibiotics just to have on hand. Thanks for that tip. I didn't know that there were fish antibiotics!

The good thing is that if she does turn the corner, I have a good vet to take care of her. It is expensive to have her see the girls, but if need be I can tell my husband that it's my Christmas present.

Thanks again to everyone for their caring responses. This forum is so awesome! We've only had these girls since May, but they have become a part of the family. I worry about them more than I worry about our dog! They are all just so sweet and adorable.

Sounds like a good plan... You might want to get a baseline weight on her then weigh her once a week. Quite often you'll see weight loss before other symptoms. I use a digital kitchen scale and always try to weigh in the morning when their crop is empty.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom