Need help fast identifying chicken killer!

Flower84

Chirping
Jun 5, 2018
It started Tuesday with a random dead bird, no signs of being eaten. Then Wednesday when I got home from work I found 2 of my 2 month old light brahmas gutted out and left in the run. Thursday one more now Friday 2 more! I am so upset and dont know what could be doing this. We do have a few cats, but they have not bothered them before. We have them in a 6 foot tall pen with wire around the bottom so nothing can dig under. I have inspected it too and it seems ok. I'm thinking maybe a bird or a cat? Any other ideas? I just threw up a quick cover with some deer netting over part of the run as in Hope's of preventing further loss. So upset does anyone have any clue what could be eating my little birds? Thank you for any help.

Sorry your going through this. Just a suggestion; I would leave the birds in the coop( if not supervised) while you figure out what kind of secure roof you will be putting over your screen. Raccoons along with other predators can climb. Hawks and owls can fly down and into your coop. If you post a picture , I’m sure someone here can tell you what it may be.

I just threw up a quick cover with some deer netting over part of the run as in Hope's of preventing further loss. So upset does anyone have any clue what could be eating my little birds?
Sorry for your loss.
Doesn't really matter what is doing it, could be several things-my best guess is raccoon, it will be back.
Deer netting will not stop it, might slow it down a tad.

Thanks for the input, we are in north Dakota, and today haven't had any losses, just worried about when I can't be here . I hope the culprit comes out soon so I can see what I'm up against. I dont think we have any opossum here so my guess from your reply in dealing with a coon.

We have found the culprit, it being a chicken hawk. We have put netting over the top of the run and have had no losses since. I hope it continues to be deterred by this and dont try to sneak in somehow. Thanks to everyone for helping me out!

I know this it's a little bit after the fact but game cams are relatively cheap can be bought at Walmart installed easily and good to have around the farm for other reasons too.

:welcome It's hard to say. I have game cameras in different spots on my property and focused on the coops and most likely whatever it was, it will be back.

Back
Top Bottom