Need help fast please got sick weak hen

lovechickens23

Songster
8 Years
Aug 18, 2013
Hi please be nice. I got sick hen she been sick for a week I think. She skinny and has watery white stool and sometimes green, she eats little she loves oat meal and scratch feed nothing else and corn. Nothing else. I want to save her so badly lost few from sickness dont want to loose her. She is old too dont know how old she is a banny hen black. She been in my room in my ferret cage dont worrie my ferrets cant reach her cuz there cage is huge and has ramp where it can close the hole where the ramp hook. Any ideays to save her fast and gain wait fast I dont think she has worms dont see any in her stool her stool is different every time she goes like green and white. Please help please thank u. Need a chicken expert chicken expert

IMG_20180323_121549.jpg

She skinny and has watery white stool and sometimes green, she eats little she loves oat meal and scratch feed nothing else and corn. Nothing else.
She is old too

I'm sorry your hen is not doing well.

I'm going to ask you some questions - questions are not meant to be mean or judgemental - the information you give us may help us help you figure out what is wrong with your hen.
Do you know when she last laid an egg, has she had any problems laying eggs?
Can you get your Mom or Dad to help you examine her ---Feel of her abdomen -below the vent and between the legs - do you feel any bloat, swelling or feeling of fluid?

I understand that she is a picky eater, but try making her a wet mash - mix just a little of your normal feed with warm water - let is soak for few minutes. Stir in a little of the oatmeal or scratch to entice her. If she will eat that, increase the amount of feed in the mash each day and lessen the oatmeal/scratch until she is eating mostly wet poultry feed. You can also stir in some poultry vitamins to help give her a boost.

You won't always see worms in poop. Getting a fecal float from your vet is always best. Ask your Ferret Vet if they can do the test for you.

Since she is skinny, her poop is questionable and she is old - sadly, she may be starting to fail due to age or even a reproductive problem which is common in older hens. Do what you can to keep her hydrated and eating.

I understand that she is a picky eater, but try making her a wet mash - mix just a little of your normal feed with warm water - let is soak for few minutes. Stir in a little of the oatmeal or scratch to entice her. If she will eat that, increase the amount of feed in the mash each day and lessen the oatmeal/scratch until she is eating mostly wet poultry feed. You can also stir in some poultry vitamins to help give her a boost.
@Ruralhideaway this really helps. This was suggested to me when my girl was skin and bones with severe diarrhea. I also used chick starter to help with the protein content to try to help her gain weight.

I'm going to ask you some questions - questions are not meant to be mean or judgemental - the information you give us may help us help you figure out what is wrong with your hen.
Can you get your Mom or Dad to help you examine her ---Feel of her abdomen -below the vent and between the legs - do you feel any bloat, swelling or feeling of fluid?

You won't always see worms in poop. Getting a fecal float from your vet is always best. Ask your Ferret Vet if they can do the test for you.

Since she is skinny, her poop is questionable and she is old - sadly, she may be starting to fail due to age or even a reproductive problem which is common in older hens. Do what you can to keep her hydrated and eating.
Dont know when she laid egg last sorry. I cant bring stool sample to my ferret vet cuz he dont know chickens. How do u know got ferret vet? And I am adult not a kid I had chickens for 16 years iam 28 and I just have a mom and she dont like chickens so she wont help me. Theres no bird vet sometimes I have my brother in law put my chickens down so they wont suffer. That's how most people do it but they put them down different way. Her but feels fine I think don't know what u want me to feel. Its not bloated or watery . The elerorite not helping

What kind of vitamins show me a pick? Will it be at tractor supple? She never had egg problems either. Her crop feels fine too hard and soft like it should be I think.

Back
Top Bottom