Need help first time to set in bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jns_binford, Apr 13, 2008.

1. jns_binford

jns_binford Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    I have one of the old round metal brower incubators. I have had it running for several days with a water wiggle and thermometer in it. The temp has been reading 99.5 in the water wiggle up to the point when I put my eggs in at 7am this morning( 19 guinea and 17 BR). When I turned the eggs a few minutes ago the thermometer in the wiggle was reading 96.0 and the thermometer at the top level of the eggs was reading 98.0. Is it just taking a while for the bator to warm the eggs and the air around them back up to 99.5 or what I am totally confused as it has been 11 hrs since I set them. Please help

Thanks a mill
    Joel

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm new, hope someone helps you. I just wanted to bump you up. I think thats what they call it. Good Luck. [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It will take sometimes a day for your bator to warm back up to normal temps and humidity after setting the eggs...

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    The temp in the water wiggler is the temp that minics the inside of the eggs. Yes it does take a while to warm the eggs, try increasing the temp just a hair a time. It is better to start out on the cool side and warm slightly than jump to high. Good luck and I'm sending good hatching vibes your way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by