Need help for silkie coop

Fifithechick

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Berane-Montenegro
Hi guys, I have just ordered some silkies, 4 chicks (1 white and 3 blue) that are 6 weeks old, and 3 chicks (2 white and 1 blue) that are just a few days old. I'm very happy about them, and can't wait for them to arrive. But I have a little problem, I need to make coop that will be good for them, even when they grow up, so I won't need to make another one when they grow up. Can you give me some ideas for coop, and size of coop (preferably in european measurements), that will be enough for them when they get older.

This is something that I'm looking for.

Sorry, I haven't converted all the measurements to metric yet.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
Bantams are often said to need half the space of large fowl, but it doesn't hurt to give them more room. Especially because of chicken math.

I don't have silkies myself, but as far as I know the main thing is that they don't fly so their perches have to be low -- yet still above the nests.

Also, with their non-standard feathers they're especially sensitive to drafts. Yet they still require the same ventilation that any other chickens do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Back
Top Bottom