Need help for water in the winter

Apr 27, 2020
So I need help figuring out what to do for my flock of ducks and chickens. They go through the water so quick in the winter we have to fill it twice today. We can’t be doing that everyday. We have water warming bowls so that the water doesn’t freeze but it’s mainly our ducks that go through it so fast. What should we do?

So I need help figuring out what to do for my flock of ducks and chickens. They go through the water so quick in the winter we have to fill it twice today. We can’t be doing that everyday. We have water warming bowls so that the water doesn’t freeze but it’s mainly our ducks that go through it so fast. What should we do?
I would guess that the ducks not only drink from the bowls but are actually in the bowls. I would make something that would cover the bowls while leaving enough room for the ducks to dip their heads into the bowl. Years ago when I had geese I used a large horse trough for them with a floating stock tank deicer. I covered 2/3 of the trough with a wood cover. That way they could get drinks and dunk their heads but there wasn't enough room for them to get into the water.

Yes. With ducks it helps if you can get a waterer where they can dunk their head, but can't climb in to splash out water.

I used a narrow topped, but deep pot for winter.

Back
Top Bottom