Need help Fowl pox's

Chirpy girls-2018

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2019
Our flock has fowl pox's. We read on the internet that you can put some iodine mixed into there water. And give them baby vitamins. Just wanted to get some opinions on it. And some advice on how to help them with the fowl pox's.

I would try the vitamins. Iodine in water may be prescribed in certain cases, but I don't know the dosage. It's pretty small, I believe, due to toxicity. Extra vitamins might give enough.

If you try iodine, I think it's Lugol's solution, not iodine tincture, if I remember correctly... maybe a drop in the waterer, though there are different size waterers, so this isn't very accurate.

I would not put iodine in their water, but you can dab some iodine onto the scabs to help them dry out. Fowl pox is a virus that lasts about 3 weeks, and chickens usually recover, unless they have the more serious wet pox lesions inside the beak and throat. Pox spreads by mosquitoes, and from dropped scabs that become powdery and are inhaled by other chickens. Can you post any pictures of your affected chickens?

Just went through fowl pox recently, and I got so much help from here. It depends on what kind you have going through your flock. Mine was the dry crusty facial foul pox, no wet mouth legions. I separated (to some extent) the most affected birds and treated with saline and terramycin, since their eyes were secreting puss and crusty. It took a couple of weeks if not more to fully recover. Thank god it ended like that. I hope your birds recover soon.

This was the worst one we had and she is doing much better now. We are going to get some baby vitamins and start that and put iodine on the scabs. It is dry fowl pox.
20190713_102809.jpg

I would definitely put iodine on the lesions rather than adding it to the waterer if it is dry pox.

So glad someone posted about this! Yesterday, We found one of ours has it. Sadly, it’s a mama with four new babies and maybe three more in the way. Headed out to get iodine now. The only consolation, as far as what Ive read, is they won’t ever get it again once they have it. It looks painful.

So glad someone posted about this! Yesterday, We found one of ours has it. Sadly, it’s a mama with four new babies and maybe three more in the way. Headed out to get iodine now. The only consolation, as far as what Ive read, is they won’t ever get it again once they have it. It looks painful.
Baby chicks have a harder time with fowl pox than grown chickens. If yours get lesions around the eyes, they may not be able to see well enough to eat and drink. If they are around nostrils, they may not breathe well. I would be tempted to treat your coop with permethrin 10 spray to keep down the mosquitoes. Let us know if you need help.

Back
Top Bottom