Need HELP getting rid of fleas/mites/lice or I'll lose my chickens...

eac04

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
The husband is threatening shutting down my entire business addiction/operation if I cannot get a handle on this flea infestation. I have had to take fleas off two of my kids in the last week. I've noticed little critters embedded in their comb/wattles and I need to know how to treat them to get rid of all these pests FOR GOOD. I clean out their coop regularly and dust the whole place with DE, but it's not doing the trick. WHAT ELSE can I do? I'd appreciate any tried and true methods of dealing with these pests! THANK YOU...

I don't know from experience but in reading on hear I read about Sevin dust ? There were folks either all for it or all against it. Maybe that is something worth looking into.

Where do you live?
Do you know exactly what you are dealing with?
If you live in a southern coastal state, you could be dealing with Stick-Tight fleas.
Fleas of all sorts are really bad this year.
We have had to resort to using Frontline off label at one drop per bird on the back of the neck and Permethrin spray on the ground. It's working but it is still a battle.

You need to change the bedding in coops and sprinkle Poultry Dust on the ground before putting new shavings. They also have Permethrin that you can mix as a spray to spray the inside walls, roost, on the floor of coop, etc. You can also spray your birds with it. I think if you spray your birds it's 1.33 oz per gallon.

You can also get the pour on Ivomec and put on the back of their necks. I think it's 5-7 drops for large fowl, but will have to double check that.

You can also get the pouron Eprinex. I use 1/2 cc on each large fowl bird. You do not have to discard the eggs if you use the Eprinex. If you use Ivermectin pouron, it is much cheaper, but you will have to discard the eggs. Dust the coop, floor, and nest boxes with Sevin. Repeat in 3 weeks and it should stop the cycle.

Quote:
Would VIPER DUST be the same or as potent as SEVIN DUST? I went and bought a bag of it today and used it on the chickens as well as DE. I also dusted the coop... hope that start to break down the infestation some.

Quote:
HIDALGO COUNTY, Texas

NO CLUE. I've seen little fleas on the kids and I am able to pick them off before the stupid things jump.

We are close to the coast, so stick-tight fleas might be a possibility. WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THESE?

I am considering getting frontline medication for the chickens. Might have to resort to that.

Back
Top Bottom