Need help! Hens not going in coop at night!

Mine are doing the same thing, roosting in a tree beside the coop. I’ve started climbing the tree and putting them in one by one, unless it’s warm and clear out. Some still go to the coop, especially when it’s raining and they seem more likely to enter if there is a light on inside. You could probably put a little solar one in the door w the panel on the top of the coop or run an extension cord if it’s close enough to a source.

Mine are doing the same thing, roosting in a tree beside the coop. I’ve started climbing the tree and putting them in one by one, unless it’s warm and clear out. Some still go to the coop, especially when it’s raining and they seem more likely to enter if there is a light on inside. You could probably put a little solar one in the door w the panel on the top of the coop or run an extension cord if it’s close enough to a source.

When training chickens there are no nights off. LOL. Physically put them on the roosts every night. Go out before it is totally dark. Chickens can't see in the dark so if you are leaving that door open after dark your 2 stragglers can't see to get in the coop. Go out about 1/2 hour before dark and put them to bed. Every night until they go in by themselves. Put that door on Craigslist. Can you tell I don't like them doors. I want to know what's around my area at dusk and before I let them out. Just me.

where are they roosting when they don’t go in? and were they using the pop door or the access door before the omelet?

The way I trained my girls was to offer their favorite snack at bed time inside the coop. that got them learning fairly quickly... 4 days iirc. I didn’t expect it to happen that quickly, but it just happened that on the 4th day I came late, and found them already inside. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom