need help how to tell a late hatch egg is alive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sager:)silkies, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Plzz help me

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how late and what type of eggs (chicken duck ect)?

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

float test, fill the sink up full with luke warm water, let sit till still, drop egg in and see if it rocks, moves or does anything..look up float test online

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I wish I would have read this last night. I killed a turkey [​IMG]

5. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My only advice would be to give it a couple extra days in the bator. I had an egg I was about to give up on. All the others had hatched a couple days previously. Just as I was about to turn off the bator, I noticed a little pip. A few hours later, a tiny bird hatched. It's doing great and growing so fast - and I shudder to think I almost tossed the egg. It was a dark welsummer egg - so, even when I candled it, I couldn't really tell whether or not anything was growing in there.

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I always use the float test and find it very accurate as long as you know your temps were okay and you're just checking one or two late eggs out of a bigger successful hatch. If you haven't had any of them hatch out yet and you suspect your temps might have been low, it's not as useful.

You can float an egg safely as long as it hasn't pipped. Do it in water that's 97-99F, so it doesn't lose or gain any heat. What you're looking for is ripples in the water showing the chick is alive in there and wriggling to begin the hatching process. If you see that you should expect a pip within the next day. If you don't see ripples and the egg is floating but not moving, that doesn't necessarily mean that the chick's dead. It might be dead, but it might also be alive and perfectly healthy, and just not sufficiently developed to be wriggling round into position for hatching yet. That's why floating eggs that have had low temps isn't so useful.

I nearly killed a late egg this way once. I had 6 under a broody on day 24, and only two of them were wriggling when I floated them. I was ready to toss the other 4, and they'd been out from under hte hen for about half an hour, when I saw a tiny faint twitch from one of them. I warmed it up and stuck it back under the hen, and it went on to hatch fine on its own and grow up perfectly healthy...

8. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks for all the help and they are silkie eggs and now today is day 24 i am hoping they hatc today or tomorrow

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I was on day 23 and was going to pitch the three eggs I had left in the incubator. I picked one of the eggs up and I heard peeping. What a surprise. It had pipped on the bottom side of the shell where I couldn't see it. I did help it hatch and now it is doing great. Keep the faith...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by